Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

P0302 code and Lifetime Powertrain Warranty

Old 09-24-2016, 11:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0302 code and Lifetime Powertrain Warranty

I'm out of town right now with the jeep and all of a sudden going up a hill I got a check engine light and did the little key trick and got the code P0302. Which I understand is the #2 cylinder head.

I'm out on a long camping trip is this something I need to address right away?
Would the lifetime power train warranty cover this?
Should I have the jeep towed back home?
I have a 2009 with 45k miles with the "lifetime power train warranty" that came with it not sure what that covers.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think in the JKs the 302 code only indicates possible bad head In a pentastar. I'd check your plugs and wires and maybe replace and see if that solves... As long as drivability isn't affected and your not getting a flashin CEL I wouldn't have it towed but definitely bring it in post trip to have them look at it to determine if it's a warranty thing

Oh and 302 indicates cylinder 2 misfire, pull that plug and check it. And check to see if the wire is connected. I changed plugs in my wife's wk and forgot to plug in one of the coils and got a simar code

Last edited by Jahamm88; 09-24-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Did you get your 5 year inspection performed? Warranty may r void if you didnt get that.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jahamm88
I think in the JKs the 302 code only indicates possible bad head In a pentastar. I'd check your plugs and wires and maybe replace and see if that solves... As long as drivability isn't affected and your not getting a flashin CEL I wouldn't have it towed but definitely bring it in post trip to have them look at it to determine if it's a warranty thing Oh and 302 indicates cylinder 2 misfire, pull that plug and check it. And check to see if the wire is connected. I changed plugs in my wife's wk and forgot to plug in one of the coils and got a simar code
Not a P-Star, it's a 3.8. Maybe same code though
Old 09-25-2016, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

My 3.8 #2 cylinder plug and wire seems to fail every 40k miles.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default All codes

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Not a P-Star, it's a 3.8. Maybe same code though
Regardless if vehicle codes are indicators for the same things. OBDII is good like that grab some new wires and plugs throw them in and drive it!
Old 09-25-2016, 01:53 PM
JK Junkie

Update
So the engine light went away and went to scan it and nothing?
Old 09-26-2016, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Occasionally the CEL will indicate a "pending" code, meaning that the issue has happened enough times to show up, but it's not Occurring enough to remain on.(having this issue with an Evap leak) the in vehicle code reader is pretty great but as your vehicle ages you may want to invest in an inexpensive scanner so you can see a bit more info.

I'd still check your plugs/wires and may as well replace. Plugs aren't typically a difficult job just make sure you have some anti seize and don't over torque.
pre label wires and do one at a time so you don't screw up firing order.

Happy wrenching!

Quick Reply: P0302 code and Lifetime Powertrain Warranty