Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

P0339 Crankshaft Position Sensor - Intermittent (Star Hotline)

Old 04-25-2016, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0339 Crankshaft Position Sensor - Intermittent (Star Hotline)

2012 JKU throwing code P0339. The CPS sensor has been replaced however the code continues to throw, once the engine gets hot. The engine stalls and will not restart until it cools down.

The dealer is struggling to resolve the issue and has opened a ticket with Star Hotline. Anyone have any experience with code P0339 and how it was resolved?

Any feedback is appreciated!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

Wow!!! My 2012 rubicon is at the dealer right now with the same exact issue. I will let you know what mine says. If you don't mind let me know what yours says to see if they are anywhere close to the same... I have a feeling my dealer is about to try and stick me. They've had the jeep already for 2-1/2 days and still no where close to an answer.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by silverrubicon009
Wow!!! My 2012 rubicon is at the dealer right now with the same exact issue. I will let you know what mine says. If you don't mind let me know what yours says to see if they are anywhere close to the same... I have a feeling my dealer is about to try and stick me. They've had the jeep already for 2-1/2 days and still no where close to an answer.
You got it. Please do the same... Note that they had to re-wire my O2 sensors to get those codes to go away. Two weeks later I get this code along with the misfire code P0300.
My 2012 came off the assembly line in July of 2011 so I'm worried that this is just the beginning...
Old 04-26-2016, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

Will do.

Why the concern for when yours came off the line? Has that line been known to have recurring issues? Because now I wonder about mine...
Old 04-26-2016, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Will do.

Why the concern for when yours came off the line? Has that line been known to have recurring issues? Because now I wonder about mine...
All suspicion but my jeep was probably one of the first 3.6s to come off the line. As an example, it had Sahara fenders on one side and Sport fenders on the other. I also had to have one of the heads replaced, not unlike many others. I'm getting the idea that I should have waited a little while until they worked out the kinks...
Old 04-27-2016, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

hotline requested that the tech run a few test and get back to them with results before they advise on next steps... stay tuned.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Mine just got back to me finally today. They are saying it is 100% my crankshaft position sensor at my dealership. $328.00 out the door to fix since warranty is out....
Old 04-27-2016, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Mine just got back to me finally today. They are saying it is 100% my crankshaft position sensor at my dealership. $328.00 out the door to fix since warranty is out....
I hope that fixes the issue for you! They already replaced mine. Had trouble with the computer while conducting PCM relearn procedures but ultimately got it done. Took it out for a test drive and the same code fired... which is where I am at now. Day 7
Old 04-27-2016, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you may be headed for the dreaded head issue. AFAIK warranty for the head issue has been extended. There should be a TSB for that.
This is kind of critical because the cams float in an approximately 30 degree range to achieve ultimate timing at any given time. The sensors in conjunction with the oil pressure valve control the cam position.

Keep on your warranty dept for every little thing that happens. The more info and history they have the easier it is to get warranty for you.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Sounds like you may be headed for the dreaded head issue. AFAIK warranty for the head issue has been extended. There should be a TSB for that.
This is kind of critical because the cams float in an approximately 30 degree range to achieve ultimate timing at any given time. The sensors in conjunction with the oil pressure valve control the cam position.

Keep on your warranty dept for every little thing that happens. The more info and history they have the easier it is to get warranty for you.
I had one of my cylinder heads replaced under warranty at ~30K miles. Are you saying that this issue w/ crankshaft position sensor could be related?

Quick Reply: P0339 Crankshaft Position Sensor - Intermittent (Star Hotline)