Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

P0456 Code, Small Evap Leak FIXED

Old 07-26-2012, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXFIREMAN
Electrical tape worked for me. Mine wasn't worn all the way through. The shiny outer layer was rotted off giving the hose a rough powdery texture. The hole was likely a pinhole. It works though!!!
Awesome man, thanks for the info. I'll wrap that lil guy in some electrical tape and let yall know the outcome. Love the TX Firefighter badge by the way.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I wrapped it with tape, then disconnected the negative battery cable to reset it. Once I put it back on I waited for about 300 miles and no light. Got about 800 now and still hasn't popped. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Default Fixed!

Violla! So I did what yall recommended and so far, so good! I tapped up that section of tube really good that was worn with some electrical tape. While I was doing that I had the negative lead pulled off my battery. Once I got done tapping the tube I replaced the negative, started her up and presto no codes or check engine light! Thanks to all for the help! I'm at about 20miles now, so I'll continue to run and give an update if it holds or if I get any other codes.

Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hohertz
Violla! So I did what yall recommended and so far, so good! I tapped up that section of tube really good that was worn with some electrical tape. While I was doing that I had the negative lead pulled off my battery. Once I got done tapping the tube I replaced the negative, started her up and presto no codes or check engine light! Thanks to all for the help! I'm at about 20miles now, so I'll continue to run and give an update if it holds or if I get any other codes.

Thanks again!
Sweet! Hopefully that was it. Keep us updated.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Default Return of the Check Engine Light

So I did some light driving this weekend, with no issues. About 80 miles so far. However this morning the check engine light came back on... UGH! I've yet to run a diagnostic and get the codes but will assume its still the same codes...
Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

Default Back to normal?

Weirdly enough, after about 250miles the check engine light and gascap indicator "magically" went away this week . I did get under this past weekend and made sure the evap canister was okay and that all the hoses were tight. Maybe I moved the right hose just enough. Anyways so far they are both off and I'm showing no engine lights. Will continue to update.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Just curious if you've actually replaced the gas cap yet? When I got the message the first time I simply bought a new cap for $15 at autozone and it fixed the issue. I was originally getting the gascap warning and then started throwing small and large evap leaks. Since the change to the new cap about 4000 miles ago, no more issues.

Just want to make sure you did what the Op started with which is replacning teh gas cap....not just tightening it. Once the seal lets go on those, they are junk so doesn't matter how tight they are. You just need to replace it.
No I haven't yet. I'm gonna see if it pops again and if it does I'll definitely get a new gas cap to see if that fixes it for good. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I have been plagued with this code for the last year. I took it to the stealership who after 3 times the code still came back. So I took it to a local shop who replaced the white sensor piece attached to the evap canister. That worked for about 2 weeks and the code came back. After that I was ready to pull my hair out. I read this and looked under the hood and couldn't see any wear or holes, I thought about not even taping it up. Well last week I decided to give it a try and reset the system and now 200 miles later no codes and so far so good. I think it has actually worked. Thank you for trying this first and posting it. I though I was going to back to square one.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Vegas_JK
So I have been plagued with this code for the last year. I took it to the stealership who after 3 times the code still came back. So I took it to a local shop who replaced the white sensor piece attached to the evap canister. That worked for about 2 weeks and the code came back. After that I was ready to pull my hair out. I read this and looked under the hood and couldn't see any wear or holes, I thought about not even taping it up. Well last week I decided to give it a try and reset the system and now 200 miles later no codes and so far so good. I think it has actually worked. Thank you for trying this first and posting it. I though I was going to back to square one.
Glad I could be of some help. Cheers!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can anyone take a photo and point to vacuum hose is the potential culprit? I'm dealing with code now, and have checked the evap canister lines and my gas cap and they are still good.

Thanks

Quick Reply: P0456 Code, Small Evap Leak FIXED