Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Park switch auto transmission acting up?

Old 05-02-2016, 08:49 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Park switch auto transmission acting up?

Well as you know the brake must be pressed to remove the jeep from park with the auto tranny. This has some sort of switch that activates or deactivates when you press the pedal in. Mine has started making a large poping noise... that you can feel when you have your hand on the shifter. This is while not moving sitting at an idle in park... you release the brake pedal and it pops against the shifter... I'm thinking that one day it will not allow me to do into gear. IT's been "poping" for three days... you could write a song to it... if you touch and let off the brake is pings or pops with enough energy to transfer the vibration through the shifter.

What part is it that I need to order?
There are all sorts of diagrams of the shifter mechanism as a whole unit (250 bucks) but I can't find a break down on the shifter itself, or what needs to be done to ensure that this switch /or cable/ or selonoid doesn't lock the jeep in park and leave me stranded?

Any ideas on what part should be replaced?

I've seen dozens of pics of the linkage, the internal switches, the knobs... no one seems to have a picture of this "switch" or a part number for it. From my understanding the neutral safty swith is internal in the tranny? So what is the thing pinging against the shifter when the brake is let off?

I should let you know that if you press the brake in Neutral it does not make any noise at all... so the only time is when in park.

Quick Reply: Park switch auto transmission acting up?