Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Parking brake change?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake change?

Is there a write up on how to change the parking brake pads? I found the write up for the rear brakes but not for the parking brake. Thanks in advance
Old 08-27-2010, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Parking brakes

On my old Lincoln they were pretty much just like drum shoe replacement, if you've ever done those before. As soon as my EBC pads come I'll be checking mine too.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:20 PM
JK Freak

Is this just for curiosity, or are your parking brakes actually worn to the point that they need replacement? Serious quesion, not trying ot be sarcastic. With the way that I use mine I would have to imagine that they are a 10 year part at the very least, since they never encounter any friction or movement, only occasional pressure.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rickyj
Is this just for curiosity, or are your parking brakes actually worn to the point that they need replacement? Serious quesion, not trying ot be sarcastic. With the way that I use mine I would have to imagine that they are a 10 year part at the very least, since they never encounter any friction or movement, only occasional pressure.
Maybe he got mud in them. Mud will tear up brake shoes pretty bad, even when they are not applied.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rickyj
I would assume so. I pull the hand brake all the way up and the Jeep still moves a little. I plan on taking everything apart tomorrow to take a look.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Question

Hey JK, you mind snapping a couple of pics while you're in there? I'm sure there's a couple of us that are curious as to what it looks like inside.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Question .... we have seperate pads for the ebrake as opposed to them activating the regular pad? where are these pads at? I have seen brakes between the driveline tranny on big truck but I know we dont have that.

If this is true then it make sense why when I forgot my ebrake on that I got a 1/2 a block before i noticed it. Mine has hold on inclines but none against the engine.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by funwthmud
Question .... we have seperate pads for the ebrake as opposed to them activating the regular pad? where are these pads at? I have seen brakes between the driveline tranny on big truck but I know we dont have that.

If this is true then it make sense why when I forgot my ebrake on that I got a 1/2 a block before i noticed it. Mine has hold on inclines but none against the engine.
They are on the inside of the rotor. The rotor is both a rotor and a drum. If you take the rotor off you will see the drum brake set up that is the e-brake.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I just learned something. I assumed the e-brake just locked the rear pads in place. I had no clue there was a separate system.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Incognito
Hey JK, you mind snapping a couple of pics while you're in there? I'm sure there's a couple of us that are curious as to what it looks like inside.
Here ya go:

Parking Brake Shoes:

Drum in rotor:

I pick up the shoes tonight. I'll see if I can figure it out.

Quick Reply: Parking brake change?