Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

pentastar head problems?

Old 08-20-2012, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its got to be a design issue. if it was a matter of a bad run of one part are another, they have the information to know who has the bad ones. i just don't get why this motor is having more issues in the wranglers than any other vehicle that they put them in. not that other ones don't have issues. if it is all brought to a head because of heat, it only makes since that it be in the vehicle that has the potential of getting a little more extreme demand from it. and that is an issue that i had before with a chrysler product. releasing it before they got all the bugs worked out of it. i had a 07.5 dodge ram 3500 cummins diesel. the first year that they started putting emission controls on diesels. it was the worst vehicle i have ever owned and the worst customer service i had ever received. i swore i would never own another chrysler product again in my life. but i ate crow and got this jeep. i have not had any issues with this jeep yet but listening to how chrysler is reacting about these pentastar issues, i am having some de ja vu' big time. a leopard don't change his spots. one cool thing though, the dealership i bought my jeep from sold it to me with a lifetime powertrain warranty. that was the only reason i even considered buying another chrysler product.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, if it was a machining issue like that other forum says, then there wouldn't be a need to redesign the head. They could just fix the machining problem and produce the heads with the original design. The fact that there has been a redesign must mean something deeper must be the problem, like a cooling issue that leads to a valve seat or valve guide failure. That's just pure speculatioin on my part.

BTW, I also had a 2007.5 Dodge Cummins diesel and like you, it was the worst vehicle I've ever bought. I had tickets for 16 service visits - 2 recalls and 14 CELs. It had the turbo replaced once and I had a CEL with a code for another one needed at the end. But my Chrysler experience was actually wonderful. The general manager at my dealer saw me in the waiting lounge so many times he called me into his office and suggested I call customer service. Eventually I did and the regional manager said he would get me out of it if I had more trouble. About a month later I got the last CEL and Chrysler let me pick out a replacement vehicle of roughly the same MSRP. I had 27k miles on the Cummins at that point and got a new hemi Challenger RT for $600 out of pocket. It was a sweet deal for me and I have to give Chrysler props for the way they handled it.

Right now I'm hoping my 2012 Wrangler DOES start ticking. That way I'll have the situation completely solved and I would expect the Jeep to be a vehicle I'd keep forever.

BTW I bought a new Ram hemi regular cab truck this weekend from the same manager who told me I should call customer service with the Cummins. The point is if Chrysler wants repeat business they better take care of the Pentastar problem.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

Has anyone compared the two parts (improved/replacement head) to see how they differ?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

dealership replaced my lifters today, but didnt help the noise (which i told them it wouldnt) so now they are putting a head on order for me. Hopefully they wont be on backorder.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dale_K
Yeah, if it was a machining issue like that other forum says, then there wouldn't be a need to redesign the head. They could just fix the machining problem and produce the heads with the original design. The fact that there has been a redesign must mean something deeper must be the problem, like a cooling issue that leads to a valve seat or valve guide failure. That's just pure speculatioin on my part.

BTW, I also had a 2007.5 Dodge Cummins diesel and like you, it was the worst vehicle I've ever bought. I had tickets for 16 service visits - 2 recalls and 14 CELs. It had the turbo replaced once and I had a CEL with a code for another one needed at the end. But my Chrysler experience was actually wonderful. The general manager at my dealer saw me in the waiting lounge so many times he called me into his office and suggested I call customer service. Eventually I did and the regional manager said he would get me out of it if I had more trouble. About a month later I got the last CEL and Chrysler let me pick out a replacement vehicle of roughly the same MSRP. I had 27k miles on the Cummins at that point and got a new hemi Challenger RT for $600 out of pocket. It was a sweet deal for me and I have to give Chrysler props for the way they handled it.

Right now I'm hoping my 2012 Wrangler DOES start ticking. That way I'll have the situation completely solved and I would expect the Jeep to be a vehicle I'd keep forever.

BTW I bought a new Ram hemi regular cab truck this weekend from the same manager who told me I should call customer service with the Cummins. The point is if Chrysler wants repeat business they better take care of the Pentastar problem.
my 07.5 spent the night at the dealer 36 times in the 26,000 miles i kept it. and i can't tell you how many times i would go in with a cel and they would take it in the back, clear the light and send me on my way with it the same day. of course it would come back on again. in 26,000 miles it had two turbos, two particular filters, the exhaust brake quit working, the turbo acuator had to be paired with the new turbo both times they changed the turbo. they never knew that the acuator had to be programed by a computer to reconize each other or the exhaust brake would not work. i had to find that out on my own and tell them. both doors leaked. and the list goes on. chrysler would not do anything except tell me they would keep fixing it when it broke. the dealer would not even consider buying it back. the good news is the dealer was closed down by chrysler.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

Cool 3000 Miles Still good

Just for info I have an April 12 build. Should have been late (second or third week). I was following it on the build pages of Jeep. Anyway I have had no issues so far. Valves are quiet and I have pushed the engine through it's gears several times. Very impressed by the 3.6. It does have plenty of power on the road. No fear on trying to get into thruway traffic. I am also some kind of fanatic on oil. I use only synthetic (via the dealer). I change at 1000 and then 3000. After that I go to regular dealer required changes but always with synthetic. I have no intention of pampering this Jeep but I do believe in maintenance. Also I have the extended MOPAR warranty so if it blows I will be driving a loaner for a while. That said, I hope it holds together. The 3.6 was the reason I ordered my 12 2DR Rubi.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

posting here because the other thread was closed.

Supposedly the dealer replaced the AA head in my Dec 2011 build 2012 JKUR with an AB head 2 weeks ago. They did not mention trying to replace the lifters(not indicated on warranty receipt either). It made even more ticking noises since then but no engine light this time. I dropped it off today to see what they think.

Up to 3000 miles it was quiet and smooth.

after 3000 miles(first oil change at dealer) it ticked.

at 12,230 miles the Engine light came on. The dealer cleared the code.

at 12,500 miles the Engine light came on. The dealer replaced the AA head with AB head. I picked it up and it sounds terrible.

now 2 weeks later its ticking the same and there is a vibration/rattle coming from dash or under hood when driving. Checked under hood and the engine cover is hitting the underside of the hood. Either plastic marks are being left on hood paint or the paint is warn off.

I dropped it off today.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Just Bought Myself a 2013 Sport S, Rubi wheels and Suspension.

Build Date August 2012. Crossing my fingers
Old 08-21-2012, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

does there seem to be any certain production dates that tend to have more problems? mine was built in jun/12.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by egl1962
does there seem to be any certain production dates that tend to have more problems? mine was built in jun/12.
Chrysler said anything before 6 weeks ago might have issues....so anything before july....

Quick Reply: pentastar head problems?