Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pink buildup above oil pan. What happened here?

Old 05-25-2015, 01:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pink buildup above oil pan. What happened here?

I got under my Jeep yesterday to change the oil and found this pink residue build up. Like something leaked. Not sure if it is tranny fluid that dried up. I've only overheated the tranny once when I first got the Jeep 5 years ago driving it in 4 Hi while wheeling.

I had the tranny flushed by the dealer since and I know it's not leaking as there are never any fluids under my jeep.

Any ideas? Is it a cause for concern?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2763587677.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	612255   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1622476924.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	612256   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1325743502.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	612257  
Old 05-25-2015, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably coolant as the Chrysler coolant is pinkish
Old 05-25-2015, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's coolant for sure. When it dries it goes scaly like that. You'll more than likely find you have a small leak at the bottom of your water pump as it always ends up in that location with that particular leak.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

Yup coolant.. same thing happend to mine. It was the water pump gasket that went on mine. I bought a whole new pump cause they are cheap. I added sealant around the gasket for extra assurance.

Now i have a back up water pump all cleaned up ready to go.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:20 PM
JK Freak

Yours looked worse than mine though. It might be coming out of the pump weep hole which means your definitely gonna need one
Old 05-25-2015, 06:54 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the insight. It makes sense since the coolant reservoir is low. Need to swing by the dealer to pick up coolant. Don't wanna put just any coolant in as I had a horrid issue with my work pig and coolant. Apparently aftermarket coolant in a Ford engine causes sensors to read incorrectly and trick the ECU into safe mode shitting down cylinders thinking it's overheating. Had to have it towed and the entire cooling system flushed to fix that.

I want to get Mopar fluid so I have peace of mind knowing it's what is recommended.

My Jeep is an 08 with 47k on the ODO. Is it normal for the pump to fail at this mileage? I'm going to be proactive about this and swap the pump and belts sooner than later.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RHD-Manx2
Thanks for the insight. It makes sense since the coolant reservoir is low. Need to swing by the dealer to pick up coolant. Don't wanna put just any coolant in as I had a horrid issue with my work pig and coolant. Apparently aftermarket coolant in a Ford engine causes sensors to read incorrectly and trick the ECU into safe mode shitting down cylinders thinking it's overheating. Had to have it towed and the entire cooling system flushed to fix that.

I want to get Mopar fluid so I have peace of mind knowing it's what is recommended.

My Jeep is an 08 with 47k on the ODO. Is it normal for the pump to fail at this mileage? I'm going to be proactive about this and swap the pump and belts sooner than later.

It is very common for the water pump to develop a leak around 50k +/- miles. I replaced mine at 52k for the exact same problem. You're right there at the magic number

Trending Topics

Old 05-25-2015, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheQuiet1
It is very common for the water pump to develop a leak around 50k +/- miles. I replaced mine at 52k for the exact same problem. You're right there at the magic number
Thanks... Did you wrench on it yourself? How much did you spend on parts? And what all did you replace since you were in there?
Old 05-26-2015, 03:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RHD-Manx2
Thanks... Did you wrench on it yourself? How much did you spend on parts? And what all did you replace since you were in there?
Is so easy. took me less than a hour. metric socket and wrench. I didn't even need a bucket.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not the brand of coolant you have to worry about, it's the type. Our Jeeps use either HOAT or OAT, I can't remember exactly which one. Your experience with your work rig was probably mixing ethlyene glycol and HOAT (or OAT), they are not compatible and I've heard turns the coolant in your block into a gel. I googled it and HOAT was the winner (Zerex G-05).

Quick Reply: Pink buildup above oil pan. What happened here?