Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Piston ring replacement for oil burning JKs

Old 02-08-2012, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston ring replacement for oil burning JKs

Hi all,

Haven't made too many posts here yet, but love this forum so far

I've got one of the JK's that burns about a quart every 500 miles or so (approximate, I haven't done a great job of keeping exact measurements, just keep topping it off when it gets low).

I did some reading around on the internet last night (and on the forums) and found that I might potentially have one of the engines made in Mexico with the piston rings installed incorrectly?

That said, is there anyone here that has had that repair done outside of the warranty, and if so how much did it cost?

I'd like to say that I'd be willing to attempt this myself, but I'm a beginning grease monkey and I think that might be a little outside of my comfort zone given a friend said that I'd most likely have to pull the engine to replace them.

Anyways, I appreciate the help/advice!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Can't shed any light on the cost of new rings, but any chance you could look at your engine number to see where it was built?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Is there a way to see that with the engine in? I'd read somewhere that it was a plate on the back of the engine (could be wrong)?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your better off putting in a rebuilt engine at this point, there is a lot involved with putting in a set of rings. By the time you buy the rings ,gaskets , bearings, and not knowing what your looking at better off paying a shop to put a motor in.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by mtb856
Is there a way to see that with the engine in? I'd read somewhere that it was a plate on the back of the engine (could be wrong)?
It's engraved onto the back of the engine, visible with a mirror and flashlight. It takes some effort, and persistence.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can call a dealer and ask the parts department if it's one of those motors with your VIN number.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
It's engraved onto the back of the engine, visible with a mirror and flashlight. It takes some effort, and persistence.
Ah, thanks! I'll have to pick up a mirror to be able to look at that, I'll run by the store and see if I can get one.

Originally Posted by Rich6700

Your better off putting in a rebuilt engine at this point, there is a lot involved with putting in a set of rings. By the time you buy the rings ,gaskets , bearings, and not knowing what your looking at better off paying a shop to put a motor in.
That would be unfortunate, I'd heard of people just trading in their 07-08's to get a vehicle without the problem...I've had issues with my throwout bearing as well, had to replace it outside of the warranty and it started making noise again a month later maybe a trade-in is in my future if it's that much of a hassle to get fixed....
Old 02-08-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtb856
...I did some reading around on the internet last night (and on the forums) and found that I might potentially have one of the engines made in Mexico with the piston rings installed incorrectly?
If you engine number has a "T" in it then it was built in the Trenton engine plant in the US; "S" is for the plant in Saltillo, Mexico.

Apart from bad rings, another cause for oil burning in these motors is excessive amounts of oil entering the intake via the PCV system. Many people here on this forum have found that replacing the PCV valve and/or switching to a heavier weight of oil (ie: 10W30 or 15W40) solves the consumption issue either completely or to a greater extent anyway.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you can do the work yourself it would be worth it. Ive done alot of engine work and seems like a hone and rings would solve your problems. It would probably take me a weekend or so. idk what it would cost at a shop though.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by JKlad
If you engine number has a "T" in it then it was built in the Trenton engine plant in the US; "S" is for the plant in Saltillo, Mexico.
They will all have at least one "T" in the engine number.

Typical North American 2008 Wrangler engine number: 8T3.8T°1872

It's the "T" or "S" before the "3.8" that denotes assembly plant. The "T°" after the "3.8" stands for "Truck".

Quick Reply: Piston ring replacement for oil burning JKs