Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Please help with catalytic converter assembly replacement questions

Old 10-21-2016, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with catalytic converter assembly replacement questions

If you have replaced your cat assembly, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I recently began an attempt to replace my cat assembly with a new part. This is on a '09 Wrangler X Unlimited. Was using the How-To posted on this site as a guide but ran into some issues.

First, the How-To notes that the crossbar could be removed, but shouldn't be necessary. I am finding that it absolutely has to be removed in order to slide the Y-pipe out of the exhaust pipe and lower the assembly. There's just too much length past that crossbar to the exhaust and it prevents the Y from coming down and out with the rest of the ridiculously large assembly. In fact, I'm not even sure the upper cat can will clear the front drive shaft when I finally am able to get the lower end past that crossbar. Also, the How-To neglects to mention that the transmission rests on that crossbar, requiring a lot more work to remove it than expressed in that How-To.

Does anyone have experience with this and can tell me if they found it necessary to remove the crossbar and/or the front drive shaft? I'm about to cut the old assembly out, but I may still be stuck having to remove things to get the new one in. Any advice is much appreciated!
Old 10-21-2016, 01:03 PM
AJ_
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it and it was pretty hard but I did manage to wedge the thing up in there. Sorry that's the best help I can give cause I don't remember lol
Old 12-06-2016, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by caesar1812
If you have replaced your cat assembly, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I recently began an attempt to replace my cat assembly with a new part. This is on a '09 Wrangler X Unlimited. Was using the How-To posted on this site as a guide but ran into some issues.

First, the How-To notes that the crossbar could be removed, but shouldn't be necessary. I am finding that it absolutely has to be removed in order to slide the Y-pipe out of the exhaust pipe and lower the assembly. There's just too much length past that crossbar to the exhaust and it prevents the Y from coming down and out with the rest of the ridiculously large assembly. In fact, I'm not even sure the upper cat can will clear the front drive shaft when I finally am able to get the lower end past that crossbar. Also, the How-To neglects to mention that the transmission rests on that crossbar, requiring a lot more work to remove it than expressed in that How-To.

Does anyone have experience with this and can tell me if they found it necessary to remove the crossbar and/or the front drive shaft? I'm about to cut the old assembly out, but I may still be stuck having to remove things to get the new one in. Any advice is much appreciated!
I did this recently and had to remove the crossmember while holdng the transmission up with a jack. Total PITA, but finally got it. I also had to buy longer bolts to go in where it attaches to the header. The stock bolts wont allow you tighten it enough. Good luck
Old 12-06-2016, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

I looked at possibly doing that and it looked difficult and it looked like the cross member had to be replaced. Personally, about the bolts, I would cut them off and replace with new. Just seems easier. But my problem wound up being the O2 sensors, that cleared up my cat code. Good luck
Old 12-08-2016, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did this repair a couple years ago. I did not remove the crossmember on disassembly because I cut the old exhaust out in 4 pieces. I thought I was saving myself time but I was wrong because it is absolutely necessary to remove in order to get new y-pipe in. I did have to unbolt the driver side upper control arm also to get cats out and back in. Not a big chore though. Go ahead and remove both inner fenders as well to make life easier. This will provide better access to remove and replace bolts holding y-pipe to manifold. I didn't do any of this at first and the removal was a nightmare for a brief period. But I did remove everything before installing new cats and the job was a breeze. I was being lazy and it busted my balls. So take my advice. Don't be lazy. Ha. If you prepare properly it's really not a hard job. Good luck!
Old 12-08-2016, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

P.S. I think I did a vague write up on this back then. So if it was mine that confused you, I apologize.

Quick Reply: Please help with catalytic converter assembly replacement questions