Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pop on acceleration.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop on acceleration.

Anybody else have this issue, or have any idea what my issue might be. When I come to a complete stop and begin to accelerate I have a loud metallic pop coming from the rear driver side of my Jeep. If I take off very slow it doesn't do it, but the second I hit the accelerator a little harder from that idling crawl, it will pop. There are no vibrations, squeaks, rattles or pops coming from there at any other time. Just when I hit the gas from a stop. I have tightened every bolt back there to spec(track bar, sway bar, control arms, shocks), to no avail. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 07-29-2016, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked to see if any of the holes are wallowed out? The hole hole for my swaybar link on the actual swaybar itself on the rear is wallowed out and does the same thing you speak of.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Have you checked to see if any of the holes are wallowed out? The hole hole for my swaybar link on the actual swaybar itself on the rear is wallowed out and does the same thing you speak of.
I'll have to check that out. Thanks. I do some fairly spirited driving up and down the (very curvy) mountain back and forth from my house to work. That could very well be it.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sway bar link mounts and upper shock mounts are common spots for stuff to come loose and over time rattle about. I try to check these areas on oil changes.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:18 AM
JK Newbie

Update. I've loosened and tightened all 8 control arms to spec, tightened both front and rear track bars to spec, inspected all bushings, and checked my sway bar and linkage (and tightened to spec). Nothing out of the ordinary anywhere, but I'm still getting the popping noise. Springs are seated properly and there is no rub marks on any components, anywhere. Axle shafts are tight as when it left the dealer.... This is starting to really irk me! Any more ideas? Anyone???

Edit: The pop doesn't happen every time I take off. It pretty hit and miss. But it does like to do it more often when I'm either taking off up a hill or fanning the clutch a bit on take off.

Last edited by TN_Vol_Jeeper; 08-29-2016 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 2011 is doing the same thing. Only does it when taking off from a stop and doesn't do it every time. I am able to duplicate it just about every time by reversing, coming to a pretty abrupt stop then immediately driving forward with a decent amount of torque. Doing this makes it happen ever time. I was hoping for nothing more than a loose control arm bolt or possible the top nut on the shock. Going to be taking mine in this week.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cride
My 2011 is doing the same thing. Only does it when taking off from a stop and doesn't do it every time. I am able to duplicate it just about every time by reversing, coming to a pretty abrupt stop then immediately driving forward with a decent amount of torque. Doing this makes it happen ever time. I was hoping for nothing more than a loose control arm bolt or possible the top nut on the shock. Going to be taking mine in this week.
I can do the exact same thing to replicate it (reverse and a hard brake and takeoff). I'll PM you if I don't get to my brother-in-law by this weekend.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

I have no ideas, but I have the same problem and I've been through the troubleshooting process about like you. I've even emptied out of the interior anything that wasn't bolted down. I checked the jack and lug wrench, all secure. Still does it.

Following this thread...
Old 08-30-2016, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is another with a link to a video that one of our fellow Jeepers took. Mine is actually at the shop today so we will see.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-video-335300/
Old 08-30-2016, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

make sure the rear upper track bar bolt isn't hitting the spring

Quick Reply: Pop on acceleration.