Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is it possible for one person to take the hard top off a 4 door wrangler?

Old 04-21-2012, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible for one person to take the hard top off a 4 door wrangler?

I was going to put a hoist in my garage but I just don't know if I'm going to have enough room so my question is can one person lift the top off a 4 door? Having never done it I don't know how heavy or cumbersome it can be. Thanks...
Old 04-21-2012, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

All I can tell you was that me and my buddy had a hard time with the two of us. I would say due to the size and weight that it would be impossible to do without scratching the the jeep or the hard top. Just my opinion.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

Yes you can. Are you going to scratch it may be lol. Ive done it twice by myself the first time I scratch the side the second time I was putting it on and busted my tail light lol you live and you learn

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120421_130325.jpg
Views:	1052
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	307384
Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive done it twice and its tough to do but is possible. It was such a pain to do that i set up a hoist with ratchet straps(about $35) after the second time i did it.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I do it all the time. Obviously, take off the two front pieces first. Next I place two folding chairs on the ground behind my jeep spaced far enough apart to sit the hard top on. After removing all the fasteners I sit on the rear floorboard with my legs hanging out the back. I lift the top up and adjust it accordingly to make sure it is well balanced and just start sliding it out. Don't try it on a windy day! After getting it off I simply walk back to the folding chairs and sit it down on them and place the dolly on it. Then carefully slide it off the chairs onto the ground and dolly. Make sure you use something to secure the liftgate. I use a bungy cord. I have a 4 inch lift with 35 inch tires. I am 6'2" 200lbs. Obviously if you are height challenged this will not work for you, but I manage fine. Once you have done it once or twice it will become easier each time. I can remove or replace my hardtop by myself in about 10 minutes.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sempermarc
I do it all the time. Obviously, take off the two front pieces first. Next I place two folding chairs on the ground behind my jeep spaced far enough apart to sit the hard top on. After removing all the fasteners I sit on the rear floorboard with my legs hanging out the back. I lift the top up and adjust it accordingly to make sure it is well balanced and just start sliding it out. Don't try it on a windy day! After getting it off I simply walk back to the folding chairs and sit it down on them and place the dolly on it. Then carefully slide it off the chairs onto the ground and dolly. Make sure you use something to secure the liftgate. I use a bungy cord. I have a 4 inch lift with 35 inch tires. I am 6'2" 200lbs. Obviously if you are height challenged this will not work for you, but I manage fine. Once you have done it once or twice it will become easier each time. I can remove or replace my hardtop by myself in about 10 minutes.
Ayup, if you are vertically challenged, forget it unless you are really strong.

I'm 6'3" and that is why I can do It myself. It is NOT easy.

I just get under it and carry it off. I squat to set it on the grass. It then slides well sorta upside down on the grass. Only do this if you have a nice lawn or it will scratch the black off showing white.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't imagine doing this by yourself. To risky for me. One slip and you end up spending a lot of money.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Pcgizzmo
I was going to put a hoist in my garage but I just don't know if I'm going to have enough room so my question is can one person lift the top off a 4 door? Having never done it I don't know how heavy or cumbersome it can be. Thanks...
Yes I take mine off alone all the time...But I am a bigger guy.it is not heavy ..to me anyway.

after reading ALL the posts I must say I am only 5foot 7 but I am built hieght has nothing to do with it.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm 6 foot and 100kg. I can get it off but as i'm in Australia and any part i break will cost me double what you guys pay in the us it isn't worth the risk.
My girlfriend tried to help me get it off once. Don't get a lady to help unless they're a big girl. My girl was no help and i called in a favour from a mate.
Get a buddy in or a hoist and you are far less likely to break anything.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

You would be surprised how little room is required for a hoist. Mine is in a tractor garage that is small enough that the door can't close with my 2 door in it, but I can back it in there and hoist the top off and store it hanging from the rafters so the "shed" is still usable.

Quick Reply: Is it possible for one person to take the hard top off a 4 door wrangler?