Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is it possible for one person to take the hard top off a 4 door wrangler?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a Harkin Hoister. They are the cheapest hard top hoists out there and work just fine.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpkjk
Ur right its not the weight but tryn to balance it . I will sit in back of jeep lift up the top a little to make sure I got my hands placed I'm right spot than shimmy myself towards rear bumper till I can stand up. The hardest thing is tryn to shimmy my azz on the carpet so I can step off. I would also put it on myself in reverse order. Good luck!
I've done it just like that and had saw hourses set up and ready for me to just set it on.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CerOf
Ayup, if you are vertically challenged, forget it unless you are really strong.

I'm 6'3" and that is why I can do It myself. It is NOT easy.

I just get under it and carry it off. I squat to set it on the grass. It then slides well sorta upside down on the grass. Only do this if you have a nice lawn or it will scratch the black off showing white.
Thats how I do it
Old 05-09-2012, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

I built one of these and have been taking my hardtop on and off by myself for three years with no problems. I am 5'6" and 170lb. All you have to do is back up to it, remove bolts, and lift and slide it back. Takes about 5 minutes. I realize you can't haul this thing around, but it is a great solution at home.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im 5'7" i have done it by my self well kinda lol i go under started to pull it to the tail gate and i got under it and just lifted it with my hands in the air but i did have my mom there just to help with the balancing..
Old 05-09-2012, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
Im 5'7" i have done it by my self well kinda lol i go under started to pull it to the tail gate and i got under it and just lifted it with my hands in the air but i did have my mom there just to help with the balancing..
Good old moms always there to help
Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Default Top's

You need a lift for one man lift's and reinstall's. They are not that bad as far as price goes, or you can do what I did, and that was built one myself, its not hard to do if you have any bit of engineering experence (are you mechcanically inclinde).
Old 05-09-2012, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_A0dJZJTaM
Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bkoliba
I built one of these and have been taking my hardtop on and off by myself for three years with no problems. I am 5'6" and 170lb. All you have to do is back up to it, remove bolts, and lift and slide it back. Takes about 5 minutes. I realize you can't haul this thing around, but it is a great solution at home.
It looks like your top is cracked on the inside by the rear window.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by theroyz71
It looks like your top is cracked on the inside by the rear window.
Nope. That's the seam where the top section meets the side section. There's one exactly like it on the other side, and I'd be willing to bet there's one just like it in your hard top (that is if you have a hard tpo).

Quick Reply: Is it possible for one person to take the hard top off a 4 door wrangler?