Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines

Old 04-27-2012, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading this thread, I hear ticking everywhere. Paranoia will destroya!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubi Driver
After reading this thread, I hear ticking everywhere. Paranoia will destroya!
I'm with you ^^^ !!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Build date 1-12, 3520 miles, driver's side valve train ticking. I have a dealer appointment next week. I was told they will measure the lifter head bore but most likely will replace the lifter first. The service manager told me they need authorization from Chrysler to replace the head. If Chrysler finds nothing wrong with the assumed faulty head, which must be sent in for inspection; the dealer pays for it 100%.

Chrysler makes and sets the requirements. If the ticking still remains after the lifter replacement, I would believe the next course of action is a head replacement.

I have heard on another forum through a youtube video with sound and my down the street neighbor's brand new JKU engine in operation, there is absolutely no ticking; it is very quiet.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2012 Crush with a build date of 10-12. I have had the ticking issue for the last 4k miles. Finally fed up with the ticking, I stopped by the dealership where I bought it and inquired whether they were seeing any of the same issues and that I wanted to schedule a service to have mine looked at. The service manager looked at me and explained that while they would look at it, unless the computer was throwing a code they would not tear apart an engine just to fix a noise.

I whipped out my iPhone and promptly showed her several forums where people are having serious issues....and she still stood by her prior comment. I told her that while her dealership repair shop was closer, cheaper, and more customer friendly (parts dept. and sales), I would take my business and my jeep needs to another dealership. She wished me the best of luck.

Next week, I'll be visiting the dealership where I bought my first jeep again.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firemusic11
I have a 2012 Crush with a build date of 10-12. I have had the ticking issue for the last 4k miles. Finally fed up with the ticking, I stopped by the dealership where I bought it and inquired whether they were seeing any of the same issues and that I wanted to schedule a service to have mine looked at. The service manager looked at me and explained that while they would look at it, unless the computer was throwing a code they would not tear apart an engine just to fix a noise.

I whipped out my iPhone and promptly showed her several forums where people are having serious issues....and she still stood by her prior comment. I told her that while her dealership repair shop was closer, cheaper, and more customer friendly (parts dept. and sales), I would take my business and my jeep needs to another dealership. She wished me the best of luck.

...and afterwards, you should take your newly fixed jeep by the other place that didn't want your business and remind her superior about the potential business she is responsible for loosing...
Old 04-28-2012, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firemusic11

A lifter that isn't being fully pressurized, for whatever reason, to hold the cam follower tightly against the entire cam circumference will not cause a fault code generation. It's basic internal combustion engine operating knowledge. That one valve, that's under that specific cam lobe, that's slapping into the associated roller cam follower, where there's a very slight unwanted gap; won't cause any noticeable performance loss to trigger a fault code generation. The only thing it will cause is a noisy tic.

If this condition continues to occur over many engine cycles, you will experience accelerated wear. The valve train was designed to have a complete, not intermittent, contact of the cam follower roller against the cam. I would believe all the contact surfaces are heat treated and can withstand some cold start clattering but constant ticking will wear the contact areas quicker than it was designed for. When it reaches a point where there is excessive wear then you would most likely see a fault code generation.

The next question is how long, how many miles, will it take to wear to this point where it finally does start spitting out fault codes? Would it go past your warranty period? I don't intend to find out. Every complaint is from people who have brand new vehicles with extremely low miles; this condition absolutely shouldn't be occurring.

It is a manufacturing error that occurred over a number of heads; that's why I've read that there's a huge back order of heads. A lot of people are returning to the dealer with this problem and the solution is a head replacement. Because there is a large amount of complaints, Chrysler didn't plan on having a huge inventory of spare heads lying around.

As I said in my previous response to this thread; I have heard normal running engines without any abnormal tics. This is what I will strive to achieve in my Jeep. This is the way it was designed for and the only condition every one of us should accept.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with you totally. I have found out through my dealership that this ticking issue is not only related to Wranglers but with some other vehicles with the 3.6 Pentastar. They have replaced a few heads on other Chrysler vehicles with the 3.6 more than Jeep Wranglers to date. Was even told some of the 3.6's even dropped valves BUT the ones that did, had the ticking noise that got horribly loud before doing so. This is only what I was told mind you.

With mine, the tolerance with the one lifter was so bad they immediately said "Replace it". It started ticking at 2500 miles and got horrible at 5000 miles. The head was replaced at 5200 on the odometer. It now purrs like a kitten and hope it stays that way and doesn't start ticking again.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:59 PM
JK Newbie

Just found this thread & frankly feel better after having read it. I recall complaining months ago about possible left side manifold crack on my 2012 JKU to the dealer & the answer was "let's keep an eye on it". That answer makes much more sense now than when he said that to me. I don't have the build date handy (I think it was late summer 2011). I picked it up in late October with 650 on the clock & don't remember the ticking. I've got 5700 now & it does seem like it's slowly getting louder. I think I'll wait & hope the backlog for heads goes down -- can't afford to be without wheels for 4 weeks!

Love this forum!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BlkJck
Just found this thread & frankly feel better after having read it. I recall complaining months ago about possible left side manifold crack on my 2012 JKU to the dealer & the answer was "let's keep an eye on it". That answer makes much more sense now than when he said that to me. I don't have the build date handy (I think it was late summer 2011). I picked it up in late October with 650 on the clock & don't remember the ticking. I've got 5700 now & it does seem like it's slowly getting louder. I think I'll wait & hope the backlog for heads goes down -- can't afford to be without wheels for 4 weeks!

Love this forum!
You can find your build date on the end of the driver door... see attached.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MDH 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	310541  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nakednuns
I agree with you totally. I have found out through my dealership that this ticking issue is not only related to Wranglers but with some other vehicles with the 3.6 Pentastar. They have replaced a few heads on other Chrysler vehicles with the 3.6 more than Jeep Wranglers to date. Was even told some of the 3.6's even dropped valves BUT the ones that did, had the ticking noise that got horribly loud before doing so. This is only what I was told mind you.

With mine, the tolerance with the one lifter was so bad they immediately said "Replace it". It started ticking at 2500 miles and got horrible at 5000 miles. The head was replaced at 5200 on the odometer. It now purrs like a kitten and hope it stays that way and doesn't start ticking again.
You have to sit back and take this into perspective; Chrysler surpassed 1 million Pentastar 3.6L engines this past January. Do you think they know how many of these engines may or may not be at fault? I'm sure people are wondering why they don't do a total recall. If you consider a ball park figure of $2,000.00 for a head replacement. If they did a total recall and had to replace half of the heads on this engine; that's a BILLION, with a "B", dollars.

Many of these engines are in a lot of different models throughout the entire world. Some of these engines may not have made it into a vehicle yet and are still in storage waiting to be mated to a freshly built Mopar product.

Quick Reply: possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines