Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines

Old 04-29-2012, 11:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also the 3.6 is an open deck engine which in my opinion is a cheap way to build that gives up strength as there is little support around the cylinder bores .the exhaust valves are dissimilar metal with a stem that is welded to the face i wonder if that is where the dropped valves are. i would be wary , not just of this engine but all of the manufacturers engines that wring high hp and torque out of smaller displacements. i just dont think the long term durability will be there . not only that but they are making them so lightweight and monkeying around with new materials so much that , well call me skeptical. im not bashing here just my opinions . these things have How many timing chains? 4? and all the associated tensioners and guides . just so many more parts and potential for things to go wrong . not to mention the backyard guys who will never be able to do alot of their own work anymore and fewer and fewer young guys are developing into top notch wrenches to work in dealerships . idk just lamenting the loss of simple shit

Last edited by carolinajk; 04-30-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carolinajk
. idk just lamenting the loss of simple shit
Amen, I miss the days that I could fix my own vehicle. Lets go back to points, plugs, condensers and carburators.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=carolinajk;2987944]
Originally Posted by Sunkist Rubi
Build date 1-12, 3520 miles, driver's side valve train ticking. I have a dealer appointment next week. I was told they will measure the lifter head bore but most likely will replace the lifter first. The service manager told me they need authorization from Chrysler to replace the head. If Chrysler finds nothing wrong with the assumed faulty head, which must be sent in for inspection; the dealer pays for it 100%.

Chrysler makes and sets the requirements. If the ticking still remains after the lifter replacement, I would believe the next course of action is a head replacement.

I have heard on another forum through a youtube video with sound and my down the street neighbor's brand new JKU engine in operation, there is absolutely no ticking; it is very quiet.

why are they saying lifters need replacement it is an ohc engine and has followers or tappets that are acted on directly by the cam which in turn opens the valves . also what lifter bore are they referring to ? someone educate me is it an oil supply bore or gallery ?
The 3.6L uses a hydraulic actuation for it's valve train. The hydraulic lifter, Chrysler calls this part a "Hydraulic Lash Adjustor" contacts, under hydraulic engine oil pressure, one end of a pivoted rocker arm assembly. This pressure is forced through the rocker arm assembly where a cam roller/follower stays 100% connected to the entire circumference of the cam surface as it rotates 360 degrees. The rocker arm assembly is attached to the end of an exhaust or intake valve at the opposite end.

What's causing the ticking is the lifter isn't creating enough pressure to keep the cam roller/follower in constant contact with the cam. As we all know a cam has a lobe that actuates, or forces, an intake or exhaust valve to open. Because the cam roller/follower isn't being kept in constant contact, when the cam lobe rotates into position it bangs into the cam roller/follower causing a tic. An excellent engine cutaway is available online showing this valve system by searching under allpar 3.6 pentastar technical.

The debate begins as to what is causing the lifter not to have enough pressure to hold the cam roller/follower against the spinning cam. If you read enough online forums on this topic, there are quite a few, the majority of the repondents with this problem end up having their driver's side head replaced. Also it has been brought up many times by these respondants that there is a huge back order for these heads. Which would only amount to one conclusion the HEAD is the cause of this problem.

Concerning the head causing the problem: The lifter is installed in a cast bore integral with the head. There is an extremely close tolerance fit between the lifter and the head's lifter installation bore. If this bore's diameter is just a touch larger, out of round, or with an incorrect surface texture, in other words not to print; too much engine oil will get by and not pressurize the lifter sufficiently to do what I described above.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i get the operation , it is just the way these guys are saying the dealer techs throw terms like lifter and lifter bore around like its a cam in block design looks like they could use the correct terms is all. also thanks for the info on the follower . i know these engines use two piece exhaust valves though just curious as forever one piece or sodium filled valves have held up quite nicely

Last edited by carolinajk; 04-30-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ninjamaster
My build date is 12/11, it was smooth and quiet until first oil change(3005 miles) . It started ticking after that. Enough to make me check and see if they put enough oil in it. Oil looked good. This was done at the dealership, twice so far now with 7500 miles. Ticking has stayed constant.
Just because the oil "looked good", doesn't mean that it was. You would have to take it to a lab to see if it was okay
Old 04-30-2012, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

Build date of 7-11 no tick for me. Knock on wood. I have put 31k miles on it.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rokov
Just because the oil "looked good", doesn't mean that it was. You would have to take it to a lab to see if it was okay
It wasn't low. Almost full on dipstick. Thats all I was getting at.

Last edited by ninjamaster; 04-30-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by m998dna
Okay .... I guess Allpar is wrong or 20% of the 3.6L engines that are built in Trenton are employees that are loaded. This is a combination of poor component engineering, supplier quality and assembly quality... those components could come from anywhere. China, Mexico, Ohio, you name it.
Umm..I'm not really sure what you are specifically talking about. Since this is the JK forum I assume you are talking about the 3.6 motors in wranglers. As I said before, they are produced in the U.S. only. You can check window stickers all day and never find one that says Engine: MX. Take a look at other Chrystler vehicles, like the 200, grand Cherokee, etc. The 3.6's coming from Mexico are going in different Chrysler vehicles. Allpar is not wrong, as there are plenty 3.6's being produced in Mexico, just not for the Wrangler. The major tick problem has nothing to do with assembly either, it's the cast/machining that is the issue.

Here the sticker from a Chrysler 200 for an example:
PARTS CONTENT INFORMATION
FOR VEHICLES IN THIS CARLINE:
U.S./CANADA PARTS CONTENT: 73%
NOTE: PARTS CONTENT DOES NOT INCLUDE FINAL ASSEMBLY,
DISTRIBUTION, OR OTHER NON-PARTS COSTS.
FOR THIS VEHICLE:
FINAL ASSEMBLY POINT:
STERLING HTS, MICH., U.S.A.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
ENGINE:MX
TRANSMISSION:US
Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

12-2011 build date. Mileage = 2800 or so.

Ticking is prevalent on driver's side and seems to be getting louder. No codes, no misfires so far. Only a rough rumble every now and again.

Paying attention to it for now. Will post if things develop further.

JJ
Old 04-30-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

buid date 1-12.....and its ticking....we should start our own 3.6 tickstar club everyone with a tick ill buy you a ....and ill buy myself one too..... on a more serious note should I wait to go to the stealership or bring it in now? also I purcharsed my jeep in NY and moved to VA on mil orders....does it matter?

Quick Reply: possible problems with some 3.6 pentastar engines