Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power outlet is not working?????? can you help?

Old 05-27-2015, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power outlet is not working?????? can you help?

Does anyone have experience with this problem that could help me out?
My 08s power outlet on the passenger side (the one that works with ignition off) is not working.
I checked both 20 amp power outlet fuses, and both are still good.
I believe it stopped due to the DC tire inflator drawing more power that the outlet was designed to handle.
I did not smell any burning wire coating while using the pump, so I don't think I burned up the wire.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:26 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwrider
My 08s power outlet on the passenger side (the one that works with ignition off) is not working.
Assuming the fuse is good, check the tightness of the connections to the outlet. I have heard of a few cases where they were loose. You will have to get behind the panel to do that.
Once you get access to the connections, check the power wire for 12 volts, and the ground wire for continuity to ground.
If power and ground are good, the socket may be bad.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Assuming the fuse is good, check the tightness of the connections to the outlet. I have heard of a few cases where they were loose. You will have to get behind the panel to do that.
Once you get access to the connections, check the power wire for 12 volts, and the ground wire for continuity to ground.
If power and ground are good, the socket may be bad.
I will check that, damn! now I gotta look up disassembly of the dash, that may not be fun
Old 05-27-2015, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Both outlets are not the same depth, I tried accessories to test power and some make contact on the drivers side but not the passengers side.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could start by testing the outlet itself before pulling the dash apart. The center tab inside the receptacle is the power and the outer ring is the ground. Sometimes the center tab gets bent over time and doesn't make contact with the inserted plug. So if you are getting power at the socket that may be your problem. If so, you have to bend the tab back out without shorting it. So pull the fuse first and make sure it's dead before attempting.

Quick Reply: Power outlet is not working?????? can you help?