Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power Steering noise

Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering noise

I've got this noise coming from my power steering pump, but it's not the usual end to end squeal like they do when they are going out. It sounds like what an A/C compressor sounds like when it kicks in, like a constant "Tushshshshshsh." When the jeep warms up it goes away for the most part. When I put the steering in all the way left or right lock is disappears as well. I know it's coming from that because I can crawl up under and listen and it's definitely coming from the power steering pump. Any thoughts oh how or what could be done? I was thinking maybe it's the belt, but I've sprayed it with the belt dressing and it has no affect one way or the other. The belt has no apparent wear either

I've got the 3.6 and it's got about 40K miles on it
Old 07-30-2014, 09:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Power steering pumps on most cars are not particularly strong. They have plastic vanes in the pump that can overheat easily and bend when the fluid gets hot-- which can happen if a Jeep is pushed hard off road--or even if the steering is held at full lock too long. Mileage isn't as much an issue as driver usage. Yours may be going bad. Once it does, you'll know. Parking will be a son of a gun.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Power steering pumps on most cars are not particularly strong. They have plastic vanes in the pump that can overheat easily and bend when the fluid gets hot-- which can happen if a Jeep is pushed hard off road--or even if the steering is held at full lock too long. Mileage isn't as much an issue as driver usage. Yours may be going bad. Once it does, you'll know. Parking will be a son of a gun.
I had a mechanic friend of mine look at it, but he was hard of hearing and the jeep was well warmed up. He said he couldn't hear anything and the symptoms you hear are when it starts whining at full lock which it's not doing. It's just annoying as all get out. I've only driven it hard off road one time at a ORV park on some 3 diamond trails, but it was making that noise before I went there. I haven't towed anything of significance and I drive mostly interstate. Could a bearing or bushing be going bad?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mdmeltdown
I had a mechanic friend of mine look at it, but he was hard of hearing and the jeep was well warmed up. He said he couldn't hear anything and the symptoms you hear are when it starts whining at full lock which it's not doing. It's just annoying as all get out. I've only driven it hard off road one time at a ORV park on some 3 diamond trails, but it was making that noise before I went there. I haven't towed anything of significance and I drive mostly interstate. Could a bearing or bushing be going bad?
Could be, though that's kind of quick. You might try a mechanic's stethoscope to both isolate the noise and get an exact location.

Quick Reply: Power Steering noise