Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Problem with clutch??

Old 08-20-2014, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with clutch??

For a while now if I put my jeep in neutral and let of the clutch the Jeep made a rattling noise. I never thought much of it other than annoying and perhaps it is not related to this new issue at all. About a week ago the Jeep has been making a rattling noise similar to that of a loose part when i'm at around 2000 RPM. It only happens out on the road as I cannot replicate it when parked. Then today on the way home upon leaving class the jeep seemed very lurchy (technical termanology ) and seemed to be almost stalling when letting off the clutch in 1st gear. Similar lurch when shifting to 2nd but none noticed when going higher. I am not highly experienced or trained with vehicles and don't know much outside of the main engine but I'm guessing clutch. It's a 2009 2 door X model. Lifted on 35's but that is the most that's been done that may effect the drivetrain. Any ideas or suggestions? Don't really wanna drive it while it's doing this as I don't want to further the problem. Thanks
Old 08-20-2014, 11:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I'd guess your throwout bearing (TOB) has been going bad. It is part of the clutch assembly. Since this is an '09, if it is the TOB, you'd probably be best to put a new clutch, pressure plate, and pinion bearing in at the same time. And the flywheel if it inspects bad once the Jeep is opened up.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In addition to what Mark said, while less likely, you could have a damaged or broken spring on the clutch causing the engagement to feel funny and react "lurchy" when not under a heavy load. Effectively, the outer part of your clutch spins in unison with the flywheel, but the center part connected to your input shaft is playing catch up / slow down / catch up / slow down. It would be more prevalent in lower gears.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default If it makes noise in neutral

but goes away when clutch is pushed down its not tob , most likely Roll over noise( tolerance issue) but within factory specs:
some do some don't . Its supposed to be normal according to Chrysler dealers!
If noise is heard when clutch is pressed in then its prob tob.

Last edited by jeepmojo; 08-20-2014 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Problem with clutch??