Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Question about double clutching

Old 02-21-2017, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about double clutching

I recently learned how to double clutch, and unfortunately think I may have messed something up in my jeep. It only has 5k miles so it's under warranty. I was downshifting from 6 to 5 and heard and felt a click coming from the shifter (I may have tried shifting early or late with the double clutch). Obviously this worried me. So now it makes this weird spinning/hissing noise when I shift that it didn't do before. Still drives well. Any takes on what might've happened? Thanks so much!
Old 02-21-2017, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Synchros?
Double clutching is meant for unsynchronized transmissions, and any modern passenger vehicle has a synchronized tranny to make life easier. If I were to incorrectly shift my 6 speed I'd float shift before I'd double clutch. Double clutching is a lot of work!

I have a CDL and frequently drive Mack Trucks with 9, 10, or 18 speeds. That's an example of where double clutching is necessary. (Or float the gears) These transmissions don't have synchros and until you figure it out they will humble you and make you look like a fool. Seriously, it's very different than shifting any car. YOU have to match up the gears with the correct RPM and don't have the assistance of the synchros to do it for you. In your jeep just use the clutch correctly and let the synchros do their job.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the response. I guess I'm confused then. There are a lot of instructional videos on how to do double clothing with newer cars. Mine is a 2017. It jerks a little downshifting uphill but is smoother with double clutching.

But then again double clutching is what had me hear and feel that snap in my shifter. Any thoughts on what that snap could've been?
Old 02-22-2017, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkY3130
Synchros?
Double clutching is meant for unsynchronized transmissions, and any modern passenger vehicle has a synchronized tranny to make life easier. If I were to incorrectly shift my 6 speed I'd float shift before I'd double clutch. Double clutching is a lot of work!

I have a CDL and frequently drive Mack Trucks with 9, 10, or 18 speeds. That's an example of where double clutching is necessary. (Or float the gears) These transmissions don't have synchros and until you figure it out they will humble you and make you look like a fool. Seriously, it's very different than shifting any car. YOU have to match up the gears with the correct RPM and don't have the assistance of the synchros to do it for you. In your jeep just use the clutch correctly and let the synchros do their job.
What he said ^^^^
Old 02-22-2017, 06:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I had a 38 Plymouth that required double clutching but things were happening really slow on that old beast. As has been stated not sure where it would advantageous on a vehicle with synchronized gears
Old 02-22-2017, 06:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I had a 38 Plymouth that required double clutching but things were happening really slow on that old beast. As has been stated not sure where it would advantageous on a vehicle with synchronized gears
I was happy when synchros came along. Same thing with fuel injection and destributorless/pointless ignition. They require a lot less work.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

So is the consensus that I shouldn't need to double clutch at all? Also any idea what that snap I felt on the shifter could've been? Thanks guys, you've been very helpful
Old 02-22-2017, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what

I think what may of snapped was your brain...what made you think double-clutching was the thing to do in a jeep?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Take it to the dealer and don't tell them about your experiment.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are synchro rings associated with the shift forks that speed match your gears as you move between them. Some vehicles have a brass, delron or even Kevlar wear face depending on the needs. Double clutching, I would think would apply 2 wear contacts per shift rather than one and eventually force the synchro wear material to fail a long time before it should. There is no need to act like your shifting a big rig or a 1965 Muncie while driving a fully synchronized 2017 vehicle. Stop it.

Quick Reply: Question about double clutching