Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question about double clutching

Old 02-22-2017, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by SimpleSimon
I think what may of snapped was your brain...what made you think double-clutching was the thing to do in a jeep?
Welcome to JK-Forum.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ....

Well thank you. appreciate that!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, sounds like I need to stop it! Appreciate it.

Also, I definitely won't tell the dealer about my experiment
Old 02-22-2017, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Blackie, I'm not ragging on you, just curious why? why did you feel the urge to 'experiment'- maybe you just never owned a manual before?
regards
old grouchy old man
Old 02-22-2017, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SimpleSimon
Blackie, I'm not ragging on you, just curious why? why did you feel the urge to 'experiment'- maybe you just never owned a manual before? regards old grouchy old man
I wasn't feeling ragged on at all. This is the first manual I've owned, and friends said that I should learn how to double clutch. But it sounds like they don't know what they're talking about. I guess I felt the need to experiment as in Colorado there are some big steeps to climb on the highway and I was looking to get a smoother downshift as it would jerk a little, not much on the downshift. Im more curious if I did real damage, but it seems to be driving fine. It's great having the forum because I don't have any close friends that have owned a jeep long enough to answer some of these questions I have
Old 02-22-2017, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

I gotcha- we don't have any hills here in Delaware, it's flat as a pancake. So don't have that problem. kind of jealous, because I like hills. And you need different friends 'Friends' will get you into all kinds of trouble! Also, I think only time will tell if you've ruined your transmission. cheers
Old 02-22-2017, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 6 speed and totally understand that jerk sensation... I believe the technique you need is called rev-matching. Once you depress the clutch to go from 6 ----> 5 give it a little gas to bring the rpm to where they'll be in 5th.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spmitchell86
I have the 6 speed and totally understand that jerk sensation... I believe the technique you need is called rev-matching. Once you depress the clutch to go from 6 ----> 5 give it a little gas to bring the rpm to where they'll be in 5th.
That makes sense considering that's what you're ultimately trying to accomplish with double clutching. Thanks man
Old 02-22-2017, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackie27
That makes sense considering that's what you're ultimately trying to accomplish with double clutching. Thanks man
No problem! Also since it's your first manual you can use that difference in RPM to actually slow down using less brakes. That technique is called engine braking.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spmitchell86
No problem! Also since it's your first manual you can use that difference in RPM to actually slow down using less brakes. That technique is called engine braking.
That's not too hard on the engine down shifting on a decline?

Quick Reply: Question about double clutching