Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Question about double clutching

Old 02-22-2017, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I don't have a real answer for you, but my understanding is that it will give your brakes longer life with the trade off being worsened gas mileage. I guess it could accelerate the wear of your clutch but I traded my '08 in w/ 130k miles original clutch same driving style.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No real answer here either, but on older engines oil consumption went up because of increased intake manifold vacuum due to the throttle plate being mostly closed. It would save your brakes, especially on a long grade.......
Old 02-22-2017, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blackie27
So is the consensus that I shouldn't need to double clutch at all? Also any idea what that snap I felt on the shifter could've been? Thanks guys, you've been very helpful
Double-Clutching (with rev matching via throttle blip) is also commonly used in performance driving, when done properly, it should not hurt anything, however the JK/JKU is not a performance vehicle.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Engine breaking won't harm your engine.

Jerky downshifts will go away with practice on the downshift.

With your foot completely off the throttle on the downshift, it is ok to let the clutch out a little slower, this will smooth out the transition. If you are downshifting to gain RPM to have an easier time climbing the hill, then the quicker clutch is preferred, and getting the right balance of letting off the clutch while coming back on to the throttle will become more natural with time. Just remember, the 6 speed is far from a performance transmission, it is noisy, clunky, is designed to be a "heavy duty" truck transmission (so not a silky smooth sports car), and generally prefers less aggressive shifting.

I have found it is easier to shift smoothly with the traction control disengaged (just the single click of the button on the dash), at least until you get accustomed to how your Jeep likes to be shifted. I have 91,000 miles on my 2013, and I still have the occasional clunky shift if I'm not paying attention.

EDIT: one other point, on the downshift (slowing down), you don't want to let the RPM fall too low, this will make a very jerky shift, if this is happening you are leaving the clutch fully engaged too long. Double clutching is pointless, just drive it normal till you get used to the new vehicle, and it will get smoother with time.

Happy Jeeping.

Last edited by tjkamp; 02-22-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjkamp
Engine breaking won't harm your engine. Jerky downshifts will go away with practice on the downshift. With your foot completely off the throttle on the downshift, it is ok to let the clutch out a little slower, this will smooth out the transition. If you are downshifting to gain RPM to have an easier time climbing the hill, then the quicker clutch is preferred, and getting the right balance of letting off the clutch while coming back on to the throttle will become more natural with time. Just remember, the 6 speed is far from a performance transmission, it is noisy, clunky, is designed to be a "heavy duty" truck transmission (so not a silky smooth sports car), and generally prefers less aggressive shifting. I have found it is easier to shift smoothly with the traction control disengaged (just the single click of the button on the dash), at least until you get accustomed to how your Jeep likes to be shifted. I have 91,000 miles on my 2013, and I still have the occasional clunky shift if I'm not paying attention. EDIT: one other point, on the downshift (slowing down), you don't want to let the RPM fall too low, this will make a very jerky shift, if this is happening you are leaving the clutch fully engaged too long. Double clutching is pointless, just drive it normal till you get used to the new vehicle, and it will get smoother with time. Happy Jeeping.
Thanks! That's super helpful

Quick Reply: Question about double clutching