Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Questions on stock equipment, about to buy a new JK

Old 10-08-2015, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on stock equipment, about to buy a new JK

I am getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new rubicon unlimited.

I have a few questions:

What top(s) do you have, and what do you wish you had? What do you use the most?

I know it's the butt of every joke, but what mileage are you actually getting on the highway?

Is the factory navigation and subwoofer worth it? I normally use my iPhone (waze) and haven't found anything better.

Are the seat heaters worth the coin for winter? I know it sounds silly for a jeep, but I remember freezing my tush off in my last Jeep. (TJ wrangler) once the heat kicked in, it was like the breath of satan though. Super hot!
Old 10-08-2015, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only have a soft top and have never wanted a hard top

The Alpine speakers are impressive even with the stock radio.

The seat heaters work well. I wasn't looking for them but the the JK I found while I was looking for my other requirements (3:73's and Alpine)had them.

Jk prices have really shot up for 2016's. Some options have almost doubled in price as well as the base sticker price going up. The warranty has been dropped from 5/100k to 5/60k as well.

I was going to order but decided to expand my search and get a 2015. I saved a lot and got a longer warranty.

Good luck
Old 10-08-2015, 08:43 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Don't like to run any top and haven't for a couple years. Between the two I like the hard top.
I get 15 mpg with 40's
Would not think seat heaters would be worth it in Atlanta. My wife loves hers
Acustics suck in the JK
Get 4.10 gears in that rubi not the 3.73
Old 10-08-2015, 11:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I say Soft top

17 mpg with 3.73. I would wait for 4.10 also. I wrecked my Jeep and had an insurance check and needed a vehicle so I couldn't wait.

Can't give advice on heated seats, I live in Florida

The Alpine is pretty good but I don't think it's enough when the tops down and doors off going down the highway. That just me. Test drive one with top and Windows down and see for yourself, it might be plenty.

Last edited by BeachJK; 10-09-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2015 Rubi. It came with a hardtop only. First thing I bought was a soft top and soft doors. Dirtman can get away without a top in Nevada (lucky him!) but in New England that's not going to work. I kept the hardtop and will put it back on for the winter but you can't beat driving a naked Jeep. If I had to choose just one top it would definitely be the soft top.

I'm averaging about 17 mpg running a 2" lift and 33" tires.

I don't have the navigation system. I use my IPhone and Google maps.

I don't have factory seat heaters but I am considering getting Trek Armor seat covers and seat heaters to go between the covers and the seats. Once again, New England gets cold!
Old 10-09-2015, 04:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ImADad
I am getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new rubicon unlimited. I have a few questions: What top(s) do you have, and what do you wish you had? What do you use the most? I know it's the butt of every joke, but what mileage are you actually getting on the highway? Is the factory navigation and subwoofer worth it? I normally use my iPhone (waze) and haven't found anything better. Are the seat heaters worth the coin for winter? I know it sounds silly for a jeep, but I remember freezing my tush off in my last Jeep. (TJ wrangler) once the heat kicked in, it was like the breath of satan though. Super hot!
Have a 2013 JKUR Manual myself:
*It came with Hard Top, and I purchased the Premium MOPAR Sunrider Soft Top, which is used the most. Premium Soft Top is very versatile. I also have a SpiderWebShade JK4D that stays on. I am happy with this combination, and mainly just use the Hard Top in winter.

*Best highway MPG I have gotten is 18.8 MPG (hand-calculated), average is 17 MPG 37% Highway 63% City over about the past 10,312 miles.

*I agree that the factory Alpine is very good. I did not buy factory Navi, because I do not think it is worth it in the age of smartphones, plus sound system head unit is the most likely electronic to get damaged with the top off.

*I live in South Carolina and seat heaters are worth it. It goes cold even in spring driving with top down at night, and they are awesome in winter.

If you want the option, get it. Most are less expensive upfront, just negotiate a good price base on invoice or market value. TreadLightly membership guarantees you 1% below invoice on a new Jeep, which gives you a starting point to negotiate down from.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The only time my hard top goes on is the rare occasions I need to rent a uhaul trailer. No issues with the soft top year round in Colorado.

Never had seat heaters, never found the need for them. (maybe with leather seats on sub-zero days?)

Too many variables for a 'what mpg should I expect' comparison. You'll get what you get, which could be completely different than anyone else who happens to reply.

I don't think I have ever noticed the subwoofer, other than just sitting back there taking up space.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-09-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ImADad
I am getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new rubicon unlimited.

I have a few questions:

What top(s) do you have, and what do you wish you had? What do you use the most?

I know it's the butt of every joke, but what mileage are you actually getting on the highway?

Is the factory navigation and subwoofer worth it? I normally use my iPhone (waze) and haven't found anything better.

Are the seat heaters worth the coin for winter? I know it sounds silly for a jeep, but I remember freezing my tush off in my last Jeep. (TJ wrangler) once the heat kicked in, it was like the breath of satan though. Super hot!
Mine came with both tops.. sold the hard top after the first year. Lived in Indiana with the soft top through the winter with no issues.... that said, I run the soft-top and my full doors when it's cold.. the moment it's warm enough to drop the top, I move to soft half-doors and no top.

Can't compare mpg as I'm running an L96 with a 6L80E

Factory nav is okay, but the maps aren't great. I usually just use google maps.

I like my heated seats, my wife likes them better.

As Dirtman said, get 4.10s instead of the 3.73s with the Rubi.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Get the seat heaters. Get the sub. I get 19mpg hwy around 65mph with stock setup. Faster speeds drop to around 16 mpg.

As for the top, I have soft, and a garage. I run with doors and windows off for about 5 months of the year. For those other 7, I wish I had a hard top. Not really sure why.. Don't know that it would be much quieter or look cooler. The glass windows would be easier to see out of and keep clean in the winter, and the accessibility of the glass rear window is better than the zipper soft window. Those are minor issues.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got a 2014 JKUR. My thoughts are:
-heated seats are awesome so why not
-hardtop is an easy on and off and when it's on it's like riding in a normal SUV
-the sub is a waste of space and it's not impressive at all
-get the 4:10s. I average 18mpgs with mine on city/highway
-nav in a car is a waste of money considering google maps most likely will do a better job

Last edited by Stubicon; 10-11-2015 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Questions on stock equipment, about to buy a new JK