Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Radiator and AC Condenser - Bent - Replace ?

Old 04-27-2016, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator and AC Condenser - Bent - Replace ?

I decided to take out my radiator and AC condenser to get to the Timing chain cover. I knew I had some bent fins where I had hit something (limb I'm assuming), but it wasn't until I had them out, that I realized they are actually bent in their entirety as well.

I haven't had any cooling issues (that I'm aware of). Should I replace them or put the old ones back in?
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160426_131819.jpg
Views:	1329
Size:	859.8 KB
ID:	645188Click image for larger version

Name:	20160426_131805.jpg
Views:	2338
Size:	834.7 KB
ID:	645189Click image for larger version

Name:	20160426_131801.jpg
Views:	2737
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	645190
Old 04-27-2016, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every shop i have talked to say $800 or more to replace the condenser. That includes recharging it. My condenser has a pinhole leak that cant be patched and everyone I have talked to has said to change out the drier when you change out the condenser because exposing it to air (moisture) will make it go bad. Junk yards want $225 for a used condenser and so does the dealership for the new one. A forum sponsor called Tasca sells discount factory parts. They quoted me a little over $300 for all the parts needed (condenser, seals, drier). Then I would have to get the Freon charged(I assume around $100). It doesn't look like the condenser will just slip out after unbolted either but all the connections look simple. It seems like its going to be a PITA but its starting to warm up here and I cant use my AC...

I would say if they work then leave them. It also looks like you have a 3.8 so I'm not sure if the prices and labor would be the same. If your removing the radiator at the same time it might make the process a lot easier though.

If you decide to replace the condenser update in this thread. I could barely find any info on anyone replacing one in a JK and with it being right behind the grill I'm sure others have had to replace theirs as well.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yikes! That sounds very high!! THe condenser on the 3.8 only has 4 bolts that hold it onto the radiator. The radiator itself only has 2 bolts and a handful of plastic shroud clips. It's pretty easy to take out. I guess I'll throw it back in there and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-30-2016, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

wow, I am surprised that both the radiator and condenser aren't leaking. I went on Rock auto.com, $85 for a new condenser for a '15 Wrangler, pretty cheap, if it were me I'd replace them both.

Quick Reply: Radiator and AC Condenser - Bent - Replace ?