Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Radiator fan issues

Old 08-19-2013, 09:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan issues

Jeep was running hotter than normal due to fan not working properly. I've replaced the fan and its still not operating correctly. If my ac is on the fan literally kicks on and off every 4-7 seconds and only stays on for 3-4 seconds. I'm shooting the thermostat housing on the engine block with a heat gun and its consistent at 224 weather fan is on or off. I know the fan is supposed to come on at 215 but I'm getting hotter and its not staying on.
Any of you Jeep experts have any clue where I should go next?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4WHLN
Jeep was running hotter than normal due to fan not working properly. I've replaced the fan and its still not operating correctly. If my ac is on the fan literally kicks on and off every 4-7 seconds and only stays on for 3-4 seconds. I'm shooting the thermostat housing on the engine block with a heat gun and its consistent at 224 weather fan is on or off. I know the fan is supposed to come on at 215 but I'm getting hotter and its not staying on.
Any of you Jeep experts have any clue where I should go next?
Thats exactly what it is supposed to do... Go on max for short intervals.

This is not your fan- first step is pull off your grill, take a water hose and turn it about halfway up with no nozzle and SLOWLY run it side to side across first your AC condensor, then exposed radiator. YOu will see LOTS of sediment come out and trickle down- and your engine temps will drop.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin
Thats exactly what it is supposed to do... Go on max for short intervals.

This is not your fan- first step is pull off your grill, take a water hose and turn it about halfway up with no nozzle and SLOWLY run it side to side across first your AC condensor, then exposed radiator. YOu will see LOTS of sediment come out and trickle down- and your engine temps will drop.
Did that already when changing the water pump this past weekend. Had a little dirt but ive seen worse from mall crawlers.

I dont think the fan is supposed to run in 3-5 second intervals when the ac is on.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Did that already when changing the water pump this past weekend. Had a little dirt but ive seen worse from mall crawlers.

I dont think the fan is supposed to run in 3-5 second intervals when the ac is on.
Rest assured. it is. Now is it o HIGH, not sure- you can tell from the pitch. But yeah- JK fans dont stay on. It will come on, sound like an aircraft, then turn off...repeatedly.

Mine went out on high speed only, but hitting it with a screwdriver handle would trigger it to get me home. Replaced it with a lifetime AdvancedAuto unit and a kill switch, then RonJenx pointed out I should have a relay in line so I do now.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

If your in LA, and you didnt see much, maybe you didnt do it right? Not trying to be a jerk, but our rigs are notorious for overheating after sandwiching sludge in there... It was like a 45 minute process the first time I did mine, and the driveway looked like I had been pressure washing my underside again. FWIW.

Last edited by Ryan0260; 08-19-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 PM
JK Freak

Just got word from the dealership. Apparently the TIPM is bad. If that's not bad enough, it's on NATIONAL BACK ORDER. They have been waiting for over two months now for one for another JK. Service mgr said to drive the jeep till they can get one in. WTF.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if its running only for a few seconds at a time and sounds like an airplane engine when it does, it sounds like you have lost LOW speed on the fan..

The TIPM or the relay could be the culprit.. i cant remember if those fans have multiple sets of windings on them or not (separate for high and low)..

but high speed will definitely only engauge for short periods of time.. and 225-230 sounds about right for High speed engagament,

and with A/C on.. the condenser pressure will only warrant high speed fan for a few seconds at a time in most conditions... JK's are not like older cars where the rad fan runs all the time when the A/C is in use..

-Christopher

Quick Reply: Radiator fan issues