Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ran Sea Foam/full tank, some rough idling, now dummy engine light on

Old 08-22-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ran Sea Foam/full tank, some rough idling, now dummy engine light on

I've used Seafoam before in my other cars with a full tank of gas a couple times a year so I thought I would do it in my Jeep. Used 1 can Seafoam in full tank of regular gas. It's been about 2 wks or so with it in there (just driving around town) and a few days ago the engine was idling very rough so I left it at the house; later in the day, it started up fine no problems. Today, I noticed a little rough idling which seemed to work itself out, nothing too bad but when I looked at the dash, the engine icon was illuminated - Drove it around. Took it on the highway. The engine didn't miss a step, sounded fine, but the light is still on.

Had it scanned at Autozone and according to them it was code: P0302, Cylinder #2 misfire which could be from - spark plug, ignition wire, coil, vacuum leak, injector fault, high or low fuel pressure

I'm thinking some carbon deposits or something broke off because of the seafoam and worked its way through the engine causing the rough idling? Is this possible? The jeep is running fine now, maybe it'll reset in a couple days?? If it doesn't reset, I'm not sure what to do. Plan to use a couple fill ups of premium gas after this tank of seafoam/gas is empty.

Anyway, I pulled the spark plug for cylinder #2 - does it look like normal use for 69,000 miles (I don't know)? Or should I replace them - thinking of doing this soon anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	#2 plug.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	572506
Old 08-22-2014, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

The plug doesn't look fouled but the electrode is worn leaving a big gap. I'd replace them. I don't think that's the cause of the recent issues though. Those electrodes wear over time gradually increasing the gap and the computer adjusts the timing accordingly to keep the engine running smooth. It is likely that some deposits broke loose but they would have burnt up during combustion. There might have been some moisture in the gas causing a rough idle since the gas was in the tank for an extended period of time (I think most people burn through a tank a week at least).
Old 08-22-2014, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by osubauer
The plug doesn't look fouled but the electrode is worn leaving a big gap. I'd replace them. I don't think that's the cause of the recent issues though. Those electrodes wear over time gradually increasing the gap and the computer adjusts the timing accordingly to keep the engine running smooth. It is likely that some deposits broke loose but they would have burnt up during combustion. There might have been some moisture in the gas causing a rough idle since the gas was in the tank for an extended period of time (I think most people burn through a tank a week at least).
Thanks. I'll give it a couple days then. I think I'll change my plugs this weekend.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:28 PM
JK Junkie

That's worn. And rust???

Replace them all.

Quick Reply: Ran Sea Foam/full tank, some rough idling, now dummy engine light on