Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 06-19-2014, 04:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers door "a" piller clunk-n-thunk

I own a 2013 JK Sahara 4dr and I've recently gotten a clunk/thunk sound from me driver’s side door around the "A" piller. It started right after I put the doors back on. It's loud and usually only at low speeds. I've tried the tape, white lithium grease, tightening all the bolts on and around the door, but all I've managed to do is to reduce the occurrence, but not eliminate it. I've verified it is the door by opening the door while going over some bumps and it still happens. With the door open it’s amazing how much the door moves around on the hinges. I haven’t replaced the hinge bushings yet, but that’s next on my list. I also haven’t reinstalled the nutz to the door hinge as I usually just leave them off so I can take the doors off quicker. The nutz may reduce the movement of the door. Like I said I didn’t have this issue until the last time I took the doors off and put them back on. I've taken my doors off numerous times before with no issues. Any additional advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just responded to dasfreak in a different thread and I didn't read this entire thread, just the last couple pages.

But for those with door clunk, the latch striker is adjustable. Instead of taping it (or once you find taping helps) just move the striker. Mark it's position with a sharpie the make small adjustments until you hit the sweet spot.

FWIW, another source of mystery clunk is a loose jack.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a rattle in the drivers side freedom panel. It's latched and screwed in tight. When I push up on the panel it stops. Wondering if there is a deal that is missing or pushed out of place. Anyone else deal with this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 01-04-2015, 05:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rtittsworth
I have a rattle in the drivers side freedom panel. It's latched and screwed in tight. When I push up on the panel it stops. Wondering if there is a deal that is missing or pushed out of place. Anyone else deal with this issue? Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
the door latches have been known to be out of place. Just a little adjustment and it should be good to go.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
the door latches have been known to be out of place. Just a little adjustment and it should be good to go.
And that'll fix the freedom panel rattle? I'm almost positive I have the rattle everyone here was talking about, but this is a totally different one. Hell, guess it never hurts to try.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:46 PM
JK Junkie

And that'll fix the freedom panel rattle? I'm almost positive I have the rattle everyone here was talking about, but this is a totally different one. Hell, guess it never hurts to try. Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
when it was my door striker, I swore it was everything else. B pillar, freedom panel, seat belt mechanism, door hinges loose, etc. I adjusted the door striker, and the rattle is gone.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
when it was my door striker, I swore it was everything else. B pillar, freedom panel, seat belt mechanism, door hinges loose, etc. I adjusted the door striker, and the rattle is gone.
Door striker it is then. Thanks!

Old 01-04-2015, 07:50 PM
JK Junkie

Door striker it is then. Thanks! Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
no promises, but, it's the quickest and simplest fix.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a rattle in the drivers side freedom panel. It's latched and screwed in tight. When I push up on the panel it stops. Wondering if there is a deal that is missing or pushed out of place. Anyone else deal with this issue? Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Try tightening the drivers side hardtop torx screw. Mine came loose and drove me nuts for a month until I tracked it down

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar