Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rattling in rear of Jeep when hitting a bump

Old 08-25-2015, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling in rear of Jeep when hitting a bump

I have a 2013 Jeep Unlimited with 45000 miles on it. Purchased about a month ago. When driving if you go over a bumpy section of road there is a rattling sound coming from the rear tire. If you step on the brakes when going over bumps you don't hear it. I have had this back to the dealer four times with no luck. New pads and rotors were installed before I picked it up. The first three times they said it was the anti rattle clip. The fourth time they replaced the bracket that holds the pads. Worked for a day or two and now the rattle is back. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem. Thank you.

Last edited by aar53aar; 08-26-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by aar53aar
I have a 2013 Jeep Unlimited with 45000 miles on it. Purchased about a month ago. When driving if you go over a bumpy section of road there is a rattling sound coming from the rear tire. If you step on the brakes when going over bumps you don't hear it. I have had this back to the dealer four times with no luck. The first three times they said it was the anti rattle clip. The fourth time they replaced the bracket that holds the pads. Worked for a day or two and now the rattle is back. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem. Thank you.
Now that you say it, that may have been the source of my rattle coming from the rear on my '13 Rubi. Ironically I had the rear brakes and rotors done a week ago and the rattle is gone. I assumed it was from some other moving part back there (sway bar link, shock etc ...), but not the brakes !!! and excuse my ignorance, but what's an "anti rattle clip" ?
Old 08-26-2015, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
Now that you say it, that may have been the source of my rattle coming from the rear on my '13 Rubi. Ironically I had the rear brakes and rotors done a week ago and the rattle is gone. I assumed it was from some other moving part back there (sway bar link, shock etc ...), but not the brakes !!! and excuse my ignorance, but what's an "anti rattle clip" ?
I am not a mechanic so I will tell you what the dealer told me. The anti-rattle clip is the metal piece that goes in between the brake pad and the brake pad bracket. I have changed a lot of brakes and always thought they were called slides. Changing the pads and rotors didn't stop the noise.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Possible other noise source

Last December I had a flat tire on my JUKS. Shortly there after a rattle showed up from the rear of the vehicle. Turns out that I didn't secure the jack and jack handle properly and they were rattling around in their compartment. It's worth a check.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
Last December I had a flat tire on my JUKS. Shortly there after a rattle showed up from the rear of the vehicle. Turns out that I didn't secure the jack and jack handle properly and they were rattling around in their compartment. It's worth a check.
Yep, and also check your tailgate latch, I had to adjust the striker slightly when I noticed a rattle, sounded initially like it was coming from underneath the Jeep.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:26 PM
JK Jedi

Check your heat shield above your muffler... they could be making contact with one another... it makes a pretty good rattling sound. I bent the edges of mine up and the rattle is gone.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

I also had a rattle that seemed to come from the back right corner. It ended up being the V shaped bracket for the door latch. I adjusted forward slightly and rattle was gone.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

On mine it was the top tailgate hinge. I could duplicate it by shaking the spare up and down. I ended up buying the heavy duty hinges from Extreme Terrain. No more rattle!
Old 08-28-2015, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

Tailgate hinge if youre running oversized rear tire on factory carrier it kills those hinges. Open the tailgate, grab the door, lift up, if it clicks, moves or has play its the hinges.

Check the striker as others have mentioned, can be out of alignment.

My rattle was the heat shield over the muffler, could even hear it rattle when you close the tailgate or bang on the rear bumper with your fist.

You had brake work done recently, might be one of those clips.

Process of elimination, I'd try tailgate, heat shield, striker in that order. If the noise is still there, back to the brakes.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at the weld spots on the inside of the tailgate as they tend to crack and the spare tire makes it rattle. Look for hairline cracks

Quick Reply: Rattling in rear of Jeep when hitting a bump