Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Really bad gas mileage - thoughts

Old 03-13-2015, 05:31 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-13-2015, 05:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Machoo
Oh wow was this helpful! To the jokers that flamed me on worrying about gas mileage. I happen to be on my second wrangler (first was a TJ), own the Commander with the 5.7, and before that had an F-150. So worried about getting good gas mileage is not my concern. Getting poor mileage because I have an issue would be however. I was hearing from friends doing similar driving they were easily getting 18 to 20. So it got me thinking that maybe I had something going on because even pre-rack I wasn't anywhere near that. I do have the 3.73 years and maybe that is something too. I really didn't know about the winter/summer blend. That info was awesome! Thanks for that! I feel pretty good about it as the others that have posted here are getting very similar mpg. This has been some fantastic feedback! So I have a confession. I usually drive about 75 on the freeway and it seems from what you all are saying that could be a major part of the issue if one can call it that. Seems like over 60-65 and the mpg really falls off. Hey as long as my baby is doing alright I'm good. I hope to keep this rig for a long time and catching any issues for me early is huge. I don't skimp on her maintenance. Thanks guys. And seriously. Don't throw that Prius nonsense at me. Haha
I get an average of 14, give or take a .5-.9 in there. I'm in Colorado, so the speed limit here is 75 and I routinely take my rig up to 80-90. Yeah, it feels like an tank ready to rattle apart at 90, but the point here is, once I go past 70 mph, my avg goes from about 14.9 for the highway to about 14 when around 75 mph. When I hit 80, it drops to about 12.5mpg. At 90, it gets a round 11. Speed will influence it significantly.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Im good, on the education part. . He drives 5 miles to work, sit in 15 mins of traffic, has additional weight on his Jeep, and wonders why his mpg are crap? The window sticker starts out at 16 mpg in the city. Ill just sit back and continue to watch the replies though.
Try re-reading the original post " It's slowly been getting worse by little increments the last three months."
Old 03-13-2015, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

I was waiting for a Prius comment. At 40k have you replaced the spark plugs. I believe the suggested maintenance is every 20,000km. Even on my brand new 2015 2dr wrangler switching to iridium plugs gave me a noticeable increase in power and fuel savings. Change your air filter? Swap to synthetic oil? Run injector cleaner?

Lots of little inexpensive bits of maintenance can cause a large impact on fuel economy.

I bought my jeep knowing it's not going to sip like a smart car. But there is a difference between a low mpg vehicle and a issue causing a significant dip
Old 03-13-2015, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
Try re-reading the original post " It's slowly been getting worse by little increments the last three months."
Nailed it. And that's just it. I will be watching this tank very closely and really paying attention to my driving style and keeping it below 65 on the freeway. I want to see what she does. Because for the last three months it's gone down at each fill up. When it hit 12.8 yesterday an alarm bell went off. I haven't had that in any of my vehicles. If it is what it is then I'm good with it but if someone with more knowledge than I on here were to say that could mean...X. Or look for this then I would certainly take that advice into consideration!
Old 03-13-2015, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dan.fisher
I was waiting for a Prius comment. At 40k have you replaced the spark plugs. I believe the suggested maintenance is every 20,000km. Even on my brand new 2015 2dr wrangler switching to iridium plugs gave me a noticeable increase in power and fuel savings. Change your air filter? Swap to synthetic oil? Run injector cleaner? Lots of little inexpensive bits of maintenance can cause a large impact on fuel economy. I bought my jeep knowing it's not going to sip like a smart car. But there is a difference between a low mpg vehicle and a issue causing a significant dip
Great call on the spark plugs. I am not due yet. Not quite at 40. But great idea. I will be getting those changed at my next service. Otherwise she is all up to date. I did just get my oil changed last weekend. I do it every 3,000 to 6,000 and use mobile 1 synthetic. I know I could probably go longer. Money is tight of course for all of us but I do my best to keep up on the cars. I wonder if transfer case should be drained and refilled. This next tank will be telling. If I'm still in the 12's after really watching how I am driving then I will be taking a closer look at things. But I will look into the iridium plugs!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Great call on the spark plugs. I am not due yet. Not quite at 40. But great idea. I will be getting those changed at my next service. Otherwise she is all up to date. I did just get my oil changed last weekend. I do it every 3,000 to 6,000 and use mobile 1 synthetic. I know I could probably go longer. Money is tight of course for all of us but I do my best to keep up on the cars. I wonder if transfer case should be drained and refilled. This next tank will be telling. If I'm still in the 12's after really watching how I am driving then I will be taking a closer look at things. But I will look into the iridium plugs!
I swapped to iridium on my motorcycle. Actually drove to the store, bought them and swapped in the parking lot. It was a completely different bike. It was incredible how different my 30 year old bike felt just from swapping out fairly new oem plugs for iridium. Now all my vehicles run iridium
Old 03-13-2015, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, not to point out the obvious, but when 2012+ model year folks are chiming in with their MPG, just realize it's a completely different engine (3.8 from 2007-2011 ,and 3.6 from 2012-present). The 3.6 is a more efficient engine.

That doesn't explain the steady decrease of MPG which I missed above. When did you buy the Jeep? Is it new to you, or have you had it a few years?
Old 03-13-2015, 07:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jk_sea
Also, not to point out the obvious, but when 2012+ model year folks are chiming in with their MPG, just realize it's a completely different engine (3.8 from 2007-2011 ,and 3.6 from 2012-present). The 3.6 is a more efficient engine. That doesn't explain the steady decrease of MPG which I missed above. When did you buy the Jeep? Is it new to you, or have you had it a few years?
Good point. I was paying attention to the 3.6 deal

I bought her one year ago with 28,000 miles. I've put almost 12,000 miles on it. My TJ got about 14 with a 3 inch lift and 35 inch tires so when I noticed the downward trend I started really paying attention. I'm going to give it this last tank to see how she does then def do the spark plugs shortly.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So I've been tracking my mileage on my 2010 manual 2 door Sahara and it is no where near what others are stating they are getting and it seems to be getting worse!

It has hovered around 13 to 14 miles per gallon for the last several months. I am in California. I do spend some time in traffic but I work 5 miles from home. So my time stuck in traffic is really limited to about 15 min a day. My last fill up today dipped into the 12 mpg range. It's slowly been getting worse by little increments the last three months. I have almost 40,000 miles. Not burning oil.

Anything I can do? Anything I can check? Anything I should look for??

I typically shift in the 2500 rpm range and never rev it over 3000 so I'm not on the gas around town. I just think I should be getting much better

I do have the Garvin full roof rack on. I know that adds weight. But I've had it on for 6 months and it didn't really affect mileage all that much. I was only getting about 14 before. Or maybe the once in awhile 15. Before the rack I would only get maybe 17 on road trips.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
I have a stock manual 2door as well (Sport S). The winter blend fuel caused me to drop 2 mpg or so. And anything over 70 mph on the freeway is like pushing a boulder uphill. Clean oil and filter, proper air in tires can ask contribute. If I drive mostly backroads and interstate I can get 20-22mpg.

Quick Reply: Really bad gas mileage - thoughts