Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear brake pads, is this a joke?

Old 02-07-2015, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake pads, is this a joke?

Long story short, about week ago my rear brakes start making scratching sound very little first. Sound got worse later and I went to the local mechanic to check them. My pads on rear driver site was severely worn, metal on metal. I never saw anything like this before, owning several Jeeps and cars in my life. Rear passenger site was little better but still warn. When he showed me these pads I was thinking it is a joke, they are really small. Is it how Jeep designed near 2 ton truck? I forget to say that it is 22k miles on my JKU and I never replaced pads as quick as this. Besides pads and rotors he also replaced one of the calipers saying it was in bad shape falling in parts when he removed pads. Fortunately front is OK, but no surprise for me on rear.

I am kind of getting disappointed on Jeep, first these endless leaks of water from hard top, horrible dealers never believe you in anything, now smallish rear brakes that last 22k only?

Last edited by Breitling; 02-11-2015 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The rear brake pad wear is something JK drivers often complain about.
But I think it depends on driving habits and where you drive your Jeep. You'll wear your brakes down faster driving in the city than on the highway.
I have a bit more than 50k on the odometer and my brake pads are still good. My daily commute is about 44 miles (37 freeway, 7 city).
Old 02-07-2015, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brake pads are always smaller in the rear on any vehicle since most of the braking force is in the front.

If there was something truly wrong with your caliper then you should have it warranty by the dealer.

Why did you have the rotors replaced? Did you drive it till it was metal to metal?
Old 02-07-2015, 01:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear pads have been smaller for quite s few years on many vehicles. As for the rear wear, traction control will kick in for most wheel spin and grab the rotor to control the spin. My Landy was the same way. Always had the driver side going out first as that wheel would be in the air coming out of a drive way on a daily basis. All normal.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
Brake pads are always smaller in the rear on any vehicle since most of the braking force is in the front.

If there was something truly wrong with your caliper then you should have it warranty by the dealer.

Why did you have the rotors replaced? Did you drive it till it was metal to metal?

As I said one side only was metal on metal, It all happen within one or two weeks. It scratched little and increase last couple of days. Rear pads are really small for this weight and size, it is size of sedan pads. Maybe it was done for the smaller/lighter JK?
Old 02-07-2015, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crusaderJK
The rear brake pad wear is something JK drivers often complain about.
But I think it depends on driving habits and where you drive your Jeep. You'll wear your brakes down faster driving in the city than on the highway.
I have a bit more than 50k on the odometer and my brake pads are still good. My daily commute is about 44 miles (37 freeway, 7 city).
Yes, my driving is stop-go in traffics all the time, nothing could be done besides better pads. I am driving couple of other cars and they are not as bad on rear pads.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:14 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Get better rear pads. There's several here who have had luck with the Hawk LTS and the EBC's.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
Get better rear pads. There's several here who have had luck with the Hawk LTS and the EBC's.
You, I went with Hawk LTS pads and they work fantastic.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:03 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by JKZinger
You, I went with Hawk LTS pads and they work fantastic.
Yup I ran with the Hawk LTS also for replacements. Changed to them right before our rubi-trip. No problems since then knock on wood!
Old 02-07-2015, 07:20 PM
JK Super Freak

To top it off, the amount of pad is less fron the factory. When you get new pars, get after market and they will last much longer

Quick Reply: Rear brake pads, is this a joke?