Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear brake pads, is this a joke?

Old 02-14-2015, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know the hill start assist only engages when the vehicle comes to a complete stop. So every stoplight, stop sign and parking spot. But I would think that would really wear them down over time, especially city driving...
Old 02-14-2015, 05:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Esp, traction control, and hill assist do cause some wear on the pads, but they don't apply enough pressure often enough to convert much energy to heat and wear.

The brakes are biased to the rear more than in years past so the rear brakes come on more during normal braking. The brakes are applied very often in normal driving. That's the major cause of faster rear pad wear.
I've seen it on my JK, which doesn't have hill assist, and the ESP and traction control very rarely come on. I've seen it on other late model vehicles that don't have any of the ESP, etc. functions.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kendog
As far as I know the hill start assist only engages when the vehicle comes to a complete stop. So every stoplight, stop sign and parking spot. But I would think that would really wear them down over time, especially city driving...
Considering skimpy rear brake pads combination that might be true, I never got such pads millage on my two previouse Grand Cherokee trucks, I never changed pads before warranty ends on any of my cars and trucks. This is why I am surprised. Thanks!

Last edited by Breitling; 02-14-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ive owned plenty of vehicles in the past... my Rubi is the worst brakes of them all. You really gotta stomped on these brakes to stop the vehicle... and with mods, its only making it worse. I plan to do the big brake, master cylinder upgrade.

I dont understand how people think the Jeeps brakes are adequate, personally I dont feel safe with the stock setup on emergency stop conditions.. I guess Im used to "German" brakes... they are night and day compared to these tiny calipers and rotors.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No problems here. Replaced my rears at 60k.

I think the brakes are excellent. I've had several near collisions where I've had to slam the brakes and swerve violently to avoid a collision and the Jeep's been superb.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:47 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

I may be thinking in oversimplified terms, but if my brakes are good enough to lock the tires, as evidenced by the activation of the ABS, I don't see where bigger brakes would be an improvement.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I may be thinking in oversimplified terms, but if my brakes are good enough to lock the tires, as evidenced by the activation of the ABS, I don't see where bigger brakes would be an improvement.
quicker stopping/shorter stopping distance. Improved stopping when the brakes are wet. More heat tolerance when in stop/go traffic, towing, off roading, descending mountains.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

bigger brakes on the jeep will help with shorter stopping distance and many other benifit mentioned above... its not just marketing.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if I ever turned mine off after a lot of mods including superchip programmer. But I just changed all brakes at 86K. I have a 2012 ruby unlimited. My rears has 2mm left and front had 5mm. I put performance friction carbon and black gold ceramic on rear. So far so good. Turned rotors BTW.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rear brakes don't do much. They needn't be large.

As far as brakes are concerned, the larger the footprint of the pad, the less force applied to the rotor. Bigger is not better. Bigger can mean less stopping power unless you change how the mechanics of the hydraulic set up.

Quick Reply: Rear brake pads, is this a joke?