Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Wiper Replacement

Old 12-01-2008, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wiper Replacement

As embarrassing as it is to admit this, I can't figure out how to replace the rear wiper. I've tried removing the nut that secures the wiper arm to the shaft, but the arm won't slide off the shaft, and I'm afraid to force it. The next question is, what actually gets replaced? A new blade? Just a refill? The arm doesn't move far enough off the glass to permit much investigation, but I'd prefer to replace the blade so as not to be restricted to having to use Mopar refills. Has anybody actually done this?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Question rear blade

Welcome to the club. Been lookin at that some myself.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Huklbery
... Has anybody actually done this?
I think it's more embarrassing that we even have that soccer mom, rear view blocking piece of junk. I wish I could have bought the '07 S package without it, but that was the only way to get cruise control and I had to have that.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I think it's more embarrassing that we even have that soccer mom, rear view blocking piece of junk. I wish I could have bought the '07 S package without it, but that was the only way to get cruise control and I had to have that.
So a rear wiper (that improves visibility, hence safety) is "soccer mom junk", but cruise control is a necessity ? ! ?! ?!

I'll take every tech advance that improves the product!!

Now back on subject...
There is no mention in the owners manual, of how to replace the rear wiper blade, arm, etc.

Anybody done this???
Old 12-16-2008, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I tried to replace mine. First off, Walmart and other places have a blade replacement manual. FORGETABOUTIT!!!! They quoted 16" for the rear, the actual blade is 13". So I bought a 13" blade since no one carries the refills any more. Well, this did not work as the rubber inside was using a plastic housing and it would not fit.

So....I am now looking for a 13" refill that has the two metal strips on either side of the rubber wiper.

As far as the "technical" removal process. Pretty simple. Lift the arm away from the window. Pull the blade itself at the middle toward the window until it slips free of the outer most clip/bracket. Then simply slide the entire blade out toward you. Install in reverse. I have done it three or four times now trying to find the answer and am getting good at it.

I believe the Anco replacements might work if you can find one anywhere. Even if it is longer than 13" you can cut it to size.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeffD
I tried to replace mine. First off, Walmart and other places have a blade replacement manual. FORGETABOUTIT!!!! They quoted 16" for the rear, the actual blade is 13". So I bought a 13" blade since no one carries the refills any more. Well, this did not work as the rubber inside was using a plastic housing and it would not fit.

So....I am now looking for a 13" refill that has the two metal strips on either side of the rubber wiper.

As far as the "technical" removal process. Pretty simple. Lift the arm away from the window. Pull the blade itself at the middle toward the window until it slips free of the outer most clip/bracket. Then simply slide the entire blade out toward you. Install in reverse. I have done it three or four times now trying to find the answer and am getting good at it.

I believe the Anco replacements might work if you can find one anywhere. Even if it is longer than 13" you can cut it to size.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

I was hoping (still AM hoping) for a way to replace the entire blade rather than just the rubber refill. The OEM parts haven't cleaned that well from the get-go, and with such a small swept area to begin with, it's important to keep it as clean as possible. Besides, the clips that hold refills tend to wear over time and not keep the wiping edge at the optimal angle to the glass. In a climate like Western New York's, the back window gets pretty crusty pretty quickly.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, i just found out that a 16" wiper won't go in the back. I ended up de-constructing it and cutting the "filler" down to size, but I'm not happy with that.

came on here looking for advice, found this thread, now I'm pulling on it to see if the sweater will be de-constructed too.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder if anyone has just popped in a different wiper blade? Like a Rain-X weather beater. (not a refill)
Old 02-15-2010, 03:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

My rear wiper blade is in pieces (the rubber part) and I haven't found one at any of the auot parts stores.

Do you have to get one at the dealer???? Are there any other options?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Drive it like a semi. Use the side mirrors. hahaha .When I get my rear bumper tire carrier, the tire will block my veiw anyway. So use the side mirrors.
I don't rely on it because you have to have it on all the time as the rear wheels kick up the water.

Quick Reply: Rear Wiper Replacement