Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear Wiper Replacement

Old 02-15-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the directions from the service manual for the rear.

1. Lift the wiper arm (2) to raise the wiper blade and element (1) off of the glass.
2. To remove the blade from the arm, swing the end of the wiper blade nearest to the wiper motor away from the wiper arm to its travel limit.
3. Now press the end of the wiper blade nearest to the wiper motor away from the wiper arm against its stop far enough to unsnap the wiper blade pivot pin from the latch features on the underside of the wiper arm.
4. Gently lower the tip of the wiper arm onto the glass.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

The only replacement that I have found is at the dealer. All the auto part stores say they can't get a refill in that size.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

This is the first time I’ve posted to a forum, and am doing so since I haven’t been able to find a straight answer anyplace to the question of removing the rear wiper blade. After standing on top of a 5 gallon bucket and looking closely down on top of the wiper arm assembly, it’s pretty simple. Matter of fact, the blade attaches and removes virtually identically to the way Toyota does the rear wiper on their SUV’s. The blade simply snaps in and out by means of an open-ended plastic clamp on the wiper arm itself onto the pin set in the center of the blade assembly.

To remove the blade, move the entire arm away from the glass. Then from the top, put your left index finger between the blade assembly and the wiper arm, just left of the pin. Push gently on the right side, toward the glass and the blade will pop off. To install the new blade, center the pin over the open end of the clamp, push gently and snap it back in. Please note, I’ve used the term “gently” more than once. Seems the design engineers are using an awful lot of plastic these days.

It is, by the way, a 13” blade in the back (15” on the front) at least on my ’09. Anything larger will not fit due to the way they’ve designed the plastic shrouding on the arm assembly.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

Has anyone removed all that junk from the window. I was thinking about taking the wiper motor off, it's in the way. I don't even use it.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

When i went to the dealer for replacement they told me the whole unit has to be replaced and its like $60. I told them i can live without one. If it's not too worn out try to clean with alcohol.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:26 AM
JK Newbie

Just a follow up on the rear wiper blades that are supposed to be hard to find....I was in one of the local Wal Mart's yesterday and found plenty of Anco 13" and 15" blades ($4.97 each).

While I'd have to go out and look at mine to confirm, if you remove the rear wiper assembly, aren't you going to have a hole in the glass where the motor shaft attached to the wiper arm? Although, I suppose you can probably find a solid rubber plug or grommet to seal it with. Not to mention that the glass is blacked out around where the wiper motor goes anyway.

Last edited by 58K; 11-05-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sharrko
When i went to the dealer for replacement they told me the whole unit has to be replaced and its like $60. I told them i can live without one. If it's not too worn out try to clean with alcohol.
I picked one up for $15 at the dealer.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

I replaced the blade on my rear wiper on my '07 by purchasing a 14" ANCO replacement wiper blade, removing the wiper inserts from both the old OEM wiper and the new wiper, shortening the 14" insert down to 13", and then narrowing the plastic mount (the part that slides through the blade arm mounts to hold the insert in place) enough to fit on the OEM wiper blade arm (I left it a bit wide to make it a snug fit so it wouldn't slide off). So far it has been working great and was only $4 and only took 15 minutes of my time.

Tom
Old 11-21-2010, 04:04 AM
JK Newbie

Default Full instructions

I know this is an old thread, but in case someone new happens across it in the quest for the proper way to replace a rear wiper, the full instructions with pictures is at:
http://diggsc.typepad.com/tomorrowan...d-pivot-p.html
Old 11-21-2010, 04:49 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

I changed the rear wiper last year and I don't remember having any trouble at all getting it off. My replacement was a Rain X wiper.

Quick Reply: Rear Wiper Replacement