Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

a recharge& hi fan speed?

Old 07-28-2014, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a recharge& hi fan speed?

I just recharged my a/c and the fan speed seams to have doubled in speed (sounds like it's gonna take off). Is cooling great but it worries me ! 2007 jk unlimited auto.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Gjeffers
I just recharged my a/c and the fan speed seams to have doubled in speed (sounds like it's gonna take off). Is cooling great but it worries me ! 2007 jk unlimited auto.
Which fan? Engine or internal ventilation?
Old 07-28-2014, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gjeffers

Just did this yesterday at a local Wallyworld parking lot with one of those DIY cans with the built-in-gauge. According to the gauge, mine was on low normal range side. So I just gave it 2 squirts and the engine also sounded like it was going to take off - not sure which fan. I got scared and disconnected - didn't want to blow any AC components - the wife would kill me esp. here on vacation in Florida. Today, it's subjectively colder and everything seems ok. I think I'll have it recharged/looked at once back at home.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

If your refrigerant is gone, you can use this device to vacuum out your system prior to refilling. http://m.harborfreight.com/air-vacuu...not%20provided
Old 07-28-2014, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron

Which fan? Engine or internal ventilation?
Engine fan. Today is better I think because it's cooler. Was in 110deg where I was yesterday, only 80deg at home.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the engine fan speed is partially determined by the pressure on the high side of the A/C system..

in the 2012+ JK's that fan is variable speed and will ramp up and down.. on the 2007-2011 JK's its a 2 speed fan that kicks up and down.

in real hot weather its normal for the fan t ojump to high speed and back down again... esp if you are not movingand the inside is hot..

If you over-charge the A/C it will also be quick to turn that high speed fan on as well..

its MUCH tougher to over-charge an A/C in really hot weather with the little gauge.. as that gauge isnt giving you a true PT chart to work off of.. so you likely didnt over charge it if you kept it in the "green".

where people get in trouble is charging the A/C when its say 65 or 70 degrees outside and charging to the top of the "green".. often results in an over-charged system...
-Christopher
Old 07-30-2014, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, it's still working so I think I'm ok!

Quick Reply: a recharge& hi fan speed?