Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Water leak poll

Old 12-01-2015, 03:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak poll

Hi, getting ready for either a 15, or 16 Wrangler and I was wondering how many of you are putting up with water leaks from the Hardtop. If you can, please list your year and if you found a fix. This time, I want to dive in PRE-PARED so I can do my own fix if required. Thanx for all your input. It may seem small, but it is important to me.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a 2011 JKUR. It developed leaks at the front, outside corners on both passenger and driver side. I was able to fix both with the guide referenced below.

JK Water Leak Repair Manual SB (Service Bulletin) Supplement 23-005-09 REV A
Old 12-01-2015, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '13 and i have been chasing leaks since i got it. In fact my jeep is at the dealer right now getting the above mentioned kit installed. Started leaking between the two freedom panels, dripping onto my radio. They replaced the same seal probably 3 times and it continued to leak. They then decided to change some seals around that seal and that finally fixed that leak. Now it is leaking on the passenger side door. This should be fixed today.

If you're buying a new jeep then you shouldn't try to fix it yourself unless you plan on voiding the top's warranty by modifying it another way. Every time i have taken my jeep in I have not been charged and Chrysler has said after the problem is solved they will be reimbursing me in some way for my time out of my vehicle. If your buying a new jeep i guess its a good mind set to assume it will leak but not all of them do.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

2011 JKU 54K miles, no leaks whatsoever.
I use my soft top in spring and fall and mostly no leaks with the soft top too. If you are careful with the seals and how you install the T-tops and the door surrounds with care and don't fold the channel seals, you should be ok.

I had a minor leak with the soft top on the B pillar. Changed the top pillar rubber gasket and the leak stopped.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

My 2012 JKU leaks onto the radio after a very heavy rain, but not a light rain. I also discovered after the factory warranty expired that my driver side floor is drenched. I have not tried to have it fixed. I did just remove my freedom panels, cleaned all the seals, applied silicone lube spray, then reinstalled. Had rain last night with no drip onto my radio this morning. Not sure about my wet floor, but I'll check into that later today.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the leak between the freedom panels on my '13 2-door. Read up on here with some suggestions and since applying them, no leaks since then. BTW I also only run my hard top in the winter months, soft top from Spring to Fall.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:14 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

FWIW, no leaks on my '08 hardtop. Rarely take off the top panels, which might keep the seals in better shape.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a '13 JKU sport and no problems yet, it made a trip from anchorage ak, to so cal this last week with no leaks or problems
Old 12-01-2015, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 15 JKU HR. Leaks like the titanic. Passenger side front and rear both leak around the doors.

My 2014 JKU leaked as well. Pulling my carpet this weekend....tired of it.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

2013 JK soft top. No leaks.

Quick Reply: Water leak poll