Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Red light to the right of temp gauge

Old 05-12-2014, 03:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The computer shouldn't "lock down". Once you put a proper key in, the Jeep should start just fine. If it doesn't, pull battery cable, or the fuse Ronjenx describes to reset it. At least that was my experience with an improperly chipped key back in '07 when the locksmiths were still trying to figure out what blanks to use, and in '10 when mine got into a funk with properly programmed keys.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:00 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starts just fine with the 2 of 4 keys the dealer reprogrammed with the new WCM they installed.
Question is if I can have the JK ONBOARD reprogram the 2 remaining keys that still have the old RF code in them.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Starts just fine with the 2 of 4 keys the dealer reprogrammed with the new WCM they installed.
Question is if I can have the JK ONBOARD reprogram the 2 remaining keys that still have the old RF code in them.
My question to you is why not just try it? Your answer seems to be, "Because I don't want to lock up my WCM." I addressed that, but you don't trust my answer. Okay, fair enough.

So your question is, does anyone know the Jeep software well enough to answer my question? Likely no one has access to Jeep's secrets and will share it. So your REAL question is, "Who has tried it and what happened?"
Old 05-12-2014, 04:49 AM
Former Member

Correct.
So to avoid a possible tow cost and to hopefully avoid the inevitable "oh so you tried it yourself and now bring it in...
I'll just drive over and give it a shot parked just outside of the dealer service bay.
Dealer because when I had the WCM Fail, my 2 regular shops didn't have the software to flash the system.
Thanks. Will post how it all turns out under new thread.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:30 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
My question to you is why not just try it? Your answer seems to be, "Because I don't want to lock up my WCM." I addressed that, but you don't trust my answer. Okay, fair enough.

So your question is, does anyone know the Jeep software well enough to answer my question? Likely no one has access to Jeep's secrets and will share it. So your REAL question is, "Who has tried it and what happened?"
OK Finally had a reason to be parked in a dealer lot and did the 2 spare key reprogramming. No need to erase old chip code just rewrite over it. Now 4 working chip keys again. with no extra charges after replacing ECM.
By the way you should re-read your original answer mr. Guru

You stated that I don't trust your answer to a question that you have no answer to...huh?

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 11-02-2014 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
OK Finally had a reason to be parked in a dealer lot and did the 2 spare key reprogramming. No need to erase old chip code just rewrite over it. Now 4 working chip keys again. with no extra charges after replacing ECM.
By the way you should re-read your original answer mr. Guru

You stated that I don't trust your answer to a question that you have no answer to...huh?
Thanks for confirming and posting that what I wrote was correct.

The computer shouldn't "lock down". Once you put a proper key in, the Jeep should start just fine. If it doesn't, pull battery cable, or the fuse Ronjenx describes to reset it. At least that was my experience with an improperly chipped key back in '07 when the locksmiths were still trying to figure out what blanks to use, and in '10 when mine got into a funk with properly programmed keys.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:21 AM
Former Member

Ok folks getting back to original question that somehow got side tracked....
-I had 4 chipped keys when my ECM went for a shit. 4 because I was pro-active to the cost of replacement of loosing 1.
-only had 2 of the keys when vehicle went tits up and pulling the master fuse solution was a waste of time because it didn't work. I already know that most of the time it will. I was soaking wet and up to my ass in alligators before I had it towed 1 mile to the dealer. I would have pushed it there if I was 40 years younger.
They replaced ECM and reprogrammed the 2 keys I left to a new code Because God forbid they may want to set the the new ECM code to the 4 keys I had. Probably can't be done. Great I can live with that.

Before going back and getting my 2 extra spares set up with the new code and being financially raped at the dealer I made the mistake of asking if anyone on this forum knew if I could REWRITE ALREADY CODED KEYS USING THE ONBOARD SYSTEM.

Forget all the above posts from experts with no answer to the original question.

Yes you can reprogram already coded keys ONBOARD.

Now to piss off more people....what colour should I paint my Muffler

And as I stated before my regular mechanic was about 50 feet away from where the Jeep died and couldn't do the repair because of the computer programming that only the dealers have the rights to use. Try upgrading a stinkin' factory radio without a trip to the dealer.
11600 posts

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 11-11-2014 at 01:02 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-04-2014, 02:44 AM
Former Member

That answer really helped a lot. Thanks
Your answer was a question Identical to the question I asked
Great, figured it out myself, made sure to be parked outside dealer service bay. Sorry to the forum for asking such a stupid question.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, what if you have this light coming on once in a while for a few seconds, but you don't have a factory alarm, or fancy key fob, or even power windows and door locks?

07 2dr X with like absolutely no options what-so-ever - don't even have a center console thing with an arm rest.

And for the haters, my manual is fully soaked through and not readable anymore due to being submerged on the Rubicon trail lol
Old 12-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

My "no option" jeep also has a random flash for a couple seconds but no ill effects.

To the sarcastic question of upgrading the radio without a trip to the dealer, I've done it in my driveway. You'll need the unlock code which your dealer can provide for free over the phone.

We can only learn by trying, so I tried to put a 2015 radio in my 2010 and it worked.

Quick Reply: Red light to the right of temp gauge