Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Remote start issues

Old 01-19-2012, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote start issues

I have 2010 Sahara with factory remote start. 2 mornings in a row it has failed to start at my house. When I press the start button (twice), the horn beeps once and nothing else happens. After I got to work yesterday, I tried to show my mechanic buddy and it started right up. This morning after it failed to remote start, I stopped before I got to work to get a sandwich. Soon as I got out and shut the door, I hit the start on the key and it started right up. Its almost as if it wont start cold (which defeats the purpose of the remote start!). I thought maybe it was my key, so this morning, I grabbed the spare key. It does the same thing.

Any ideas? all the doors were shut completely, 3/4 tank of gas... what else is required?

thanks
CE
Old 01-19-2012, 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Replace the battery in your remote.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has done this, there are a number of things that wont let it start including doors and hood closed tight, wipers off, gas over 1/4 tank and some others I cant think of but everytime mine fails to start it will tell the reason why on the dash display, do you have that on yours?
Old 01-19-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by controlsengineer
I have 2010 Sahara with factory remote start. 2 mornings in a row it has failed to start at my house. When I press the start button (twice), the horn beeps once and nothing else happens. After I got to work yesterday, I tried to show my mechanic buddy and it started right up. This morning after it failed to remote start, I stopped before I got to work to get a sandwich. Soon as I got out and shut the door, I hit the start on the key and it started right up. Its almost as if it wont start cold (which defeats the purpose of the remote start!). I thought maybe it was my key, so this morning, I grabbed the spare key. It does the same thing.

Any ideas? all the doors were shut completely, 3/4 tank of gas... what else is required?

thanks
CE
I do know that if your engine check light is on, the remote starter will not operate until you address the problem. That is if it's a factory install.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
there is a hood switch (more of a button) that sometimes sticks, check under the hood close to the radiator on the drivers side. just a lil spay or two of WD40 and push it down a few times should fix this for you.
Or just wire the two leads together and throw away the hood switch
Old 01-19-2012, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok that gives me some place to start looking. I don't know where to look on the dash for the reason as to the start fail. It was factory option, nothin I added. What's weird is it won't start at home cold. I drove 5 miles this morning to gas station and got out, hit the start and started right up. I didn't fiddle with the hood or any other door. And it actually had a little less gas than when I left the house (obviously). Maybe the hood switch gets warm and expands since its near the radiator? Just enough to make contact.

Thanks for responses!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

But wait.... If it was the hood switch... If my alarm was set ( pressed the door lock button on my key fob ) from the night before... And the hood switch "froze" or otherwise got too cold to work, would that not set the alarm off in the middle of the night when the switch opened?? Like someone was opening my hood?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea, I have that display. I didnt see anything this morning when I got in and started with the key. No gate open, or door open message. Is there a message for "hood open"?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:38 PM
JK Newbie

The readout on the dash will say something like "remote start aborted: door ajar"
Every time mine fails to start it always shows the reason why. Usually its my door as I sometimes forget to SLAM them to get them shut,,the new no leak seals are tight!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 12 JKR with 900 miles on it. Once when it didn't start I got the message "Rem Start Disabled System Fault" Most of the time the horn beeps twice and it starts but then the horn starts honking. When the horn beeps once it doesn't seem to start. I took it to the dealer and they said they could not dublicate the problem. I am keeping a record of what it does at each remote start. It is going back to the dealer. I bet I can duplicate the problem.

Quick Reply: Remote start issues