Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Removing running boards on 08 Sahara Unlimited

Old 04-07-2011, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing running boards on 08 Sahara Unlimited

My 08 Sahara Unlimited came with running boards, naturally. I've had my Jeep for 3 years now and can't think of any time I've ever used the running boards. All they do is collect snow until it can drop off in my garage. That's obviously not going to be a problem for the next 6 months, but I can't think of any reason to have them on during the summer months either. I never use them to get in and out of the cab....all they do is pose a threat in getting my jeans dirty. I watched my wife get into the Jeep the other day and noticed she steps right over them to get in so clearly they have no utility in that respect.
Does anyone see any issue(s) in removing them?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

I got the X with nothing bolted on there, and it really looked like they just forgot to finish the Jeep. Exposed pinch seam etc. I bought the mopar enhanced rock rails off ebay, but a pair of takeoff rubi rails would be cheaper and still complete the look as far as cosmetics go and offer protection. After I bolted on my rails, I found, like you, that I never ever step on them unless I am cleaning the soft top

-malloc
Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope. Removed mine right when i brought my Jeep home as they too would get my pants dirty and decided to put on some rock rails instead... Removal is really easy, think its like either 4 or 6 bolts that you unscrew and they pull right off
Old 04-07-2011, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the perspectives guys. I'll take 'em off and see what I think. I wonder if I can get any dough for these OEMs and put that towards some rocker guards or something. I just want anything that's different than the plastic look these have.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleHayzzze
Thanks for the perspectives guys. I'll take 'em off and see what I think. I wonder if I can get any dough for these OEMs and put that towards some rocker guards or something. I just want anything that's different than the plastic look these have.
Sold mine for $100 on craigslist for the 4dr model. You can probally find some rubicon rock rails for even cheaper than that
Old 04-07-2011, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm looking for a set of factory Sahara running boards in good or excellent shape for a 4 door. Anyone with a set send me a pm. I too think the Jeep looks incomplete without them plus it stops stones coming off of 12.5 wide tires.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:21 PM
JK Freak

The running boards make it nigh impossible for a car or midsized SUV or rouge shopping cart to ding your doors.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

There are three reasons I keep my running boards on now....

1) Snow/rock deflection - keeps all the crap flying off the tires from hitting the door hinges etc. Basically they are large horizontal mud flaps.

2) Dent prevention - keeps trees, other car doors etc off MY doors.

3) Hard/Soft top removal/installation. Makes it easier to climb up etc.

One of these days, I will take off the OEM boards, and get a good set of rock rails that will also do much the same thing....but as there is not much rock around here, just have not got around to it yet.

Grant
Old 04-07-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is an interesting thread. I bought of set of factory side steps for my 2 door a week after I bought it. I haven't installed them yet due to the weather, but I plan to. I bought them because I think the Jeep looks so much better with them AND I have a 5 y/o who occasionally will be crawling in the back seat. I figured they would help him get in and out.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I removed mine because I didn't want any damage from rocks while on trails. They were easy to remove. Then I bought some rubi take off rails from another forum member But I do miss letting the kids get in on their own.

Quick Reply: Removing running boards on 08 Sahara Unlimited