Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

rattle under dash

Old 11-09-2010, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattle under dash

Im getting some type of rattle underneath the steering wheel and kinda under or behind the glove compartment in jeep. It only seems to happen when at higher speeds....70-80mph.
Ive checked as I was driving to make sure there wasnt anything loose but cant seem to figure out what it is. Anybody had any issues like this, or have any ideas what it could be.

Only thing done recently was went to 33's and 2.5 inch lift
Old 11-09-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by addison06
Im getting some type of rattle underneath the steering wheel and kinda under or behind the glove compartment in jeep. It only seems to happen when at higher speeds....70-80mph.
Ive checked as I was driving to make sure there wasnt anything loose but cant seem to figure out what it is. Anybody had any issues like this, or have any ideas what it could be.

Only thing done recently was went to 33's and 2.5 inch lift
I have the same rattle, same speed

I cannot figure it out as well

Hope someone can help out...

Thanks,
Scooter
Old 11-09-2010, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Same here , seems to be coming from the driver's side
Old 11-09-2010, 04:15 PM
JK Freak

I had the same rattle, it started when we did Red Cone and Radical Hill, drove me fricken nuts that day. I pulled the lower plastic dash panel off and there was a big metal box, I believe it was like Infinity or something like that, I assumed it was for the stereo or something. Anyway, it was not bolted in, it was just kinda sitting in the pocket there. I threaded in a couple of bolts and that fixed the problem.

I dont know if this is what you guys are hearing but might be worth a look.

HTH

Good luck
Old 11-09-2010, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

the "Infinity box" is the systems amp, mine was also loose and rattling around under the steering column, I just zip tied mine tight, no more noise
Old 11-09-2010, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Its a jeep.. just gotta get used to it.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spleify
I had the same rattle, it started when we did Red Cone and Radical Hill, drove me fricken nuts that day. I pulled the lower plastic dash panel off and there was a big metal box, I believe it was like Infinity or something like that, I assumed it was for the stereo or something. Anyway, it was not bolted in, it was just kinda sitting in the pocket there. I threaded in a couple of bolts and that fixed the problem.

I dont know if this is what you guys are hearing but might be worth a look.

HTH

Good luck
Thanks I will have to check it out. If I turn Radio up loud enough I cant hear it anyway. LOL

Anyway
Thanks for suggestions
Old 11-10-2010, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same noise.....not all the time, but always when above 60mph or on a really windy day. My thought is that maybe it's the front air dam smacking the frame. Noise travels in weird ways, but I havent tried removing it to see if the noise goes away.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RST JK
I have the same noise.....not all the time, but always when above 60mph or on a really windy day. My thought is that maybe it's the front air dam smacking the frame. Noise travels in weird ways, but I havent tried removing it to see if the noise goes away.
Don't think it is the "air dam" as I have replaced mine with a skidplate and noise is still there

I am thinking it is something in the door/panel that rattles with the wind, hence only at higher speeds/windy conditions

Thanks for everyones suggestions
Old 11-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Bri
JK Newbie

I have the same rattle in my jeep. Starts at about 40mph. Its a real light rattle. I'll have to try strapping the Infinity amp down. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: rattle under dash