Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Replace serpentine belt tensioner. help

Old 05-11-2013, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace serpentine belt tensioner. help

Was installing new belt today and while leaning on the tensioner, not too hard and with a not too large ratchet in the appropriate square hole in the tensioner I broke the weak steel they used to produce said tensioner. My question is, does anyone know where to get a new tensioner and if any are made in the aftermarket world, hopefully of higher quality materials than Jeep used originally. I see pulleys for sale all over if I search for the tensioner, but not the tensioner itself.
Thanks
Old 05-11-2013, 01:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like it would be a dealer item. Gates dosent even make one.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ABQ_Dave
Was installing new belt today and while leaning on the tensioner, not too hard and with a not too large ratchet in the appropriate square hole in the tensioner I broke the weak steel they used to produce said tensioner. My question is, does anyone know where to get a new tensioner and if any are made in the aftermarket world, hopefully of higher quality materials than Jeep used originally. I see pulleys for sale all over if I search for the tensioner, but not the tensioner itself.
Thanks
The belt tensioner is actually aluminum, not steel. But I just checked Autozone's website and I see that you can order one from them for just under $50.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
The belt tensioner is actually aluminum, not steel. But I just checked Autozone's website and I see that you can order one from them for just under $50.
Ahh, that explains the brittle nature. Thanks
Old 01-24-2015, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Ok,
So I installed an upgraded alternator and now I have this horrible squeal. I read several threads that suggest this is the water pump, idler pulley, gunked up serpentine belt, or bad bearings.

Here are the specifics:

--My JKU only has 1,100 miles on it.
-- This sound only happens at low speed in first (backing out of a space, pulling out from a stop).
--This ONLY happens when I turn the wheel left or right while moving.
--The sound is not present while sitting at idle.
--The sound is not present while driving 5mph+

Before I figured out how to move the tensioner pulley, I did play with the bolts on all of the pulleys. Could I have tightened one of them too much?

Please help?!
Old 01-24-2015, 12:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by patmasterflash
... So I installed an upgraded alternator ...
Suggest you use a mechanic's stethoscope to find out what is creating the sound. They are very inexpensive ($5 for the cheapest Chinese-made junk), and work quite well. First place you should poke that probe is the new alternator, then the power steering pump. Then work your way out from there. Don't worry that you may not hear the noise without the stethoscope when you're not moving. Just poke around until your find something that sounds unusually loud. If that doesn't work we'll have to get more creative. :-)

BTW: It's often helpful to know what folks own--sometimes things affect other things in ways that you may not realize. Therefore, it's always helpful it you've completely filled in your profile information so that those of us who'd like to offer help know what we're discussing. This also goes for where you live. Believe it or not, climate/salted roads/etc affect Jeeps and knowing small details will improve the answers you'll get.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-24-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks Mark! I will try your methods.

I'm not sure how else to modify my profile. I'm using the iPhone app and can't find a way to modify my profile besides the picture. How do I do that?
Old 01-24-2015, 11:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by patmasterflash
Thanks Mark! I will try your methods.

I'm not sure how else to modify my profile. I'm using the iPhone app and can't find a way to modify my profile besides the picture. How do I do that?
Ah-hah. You'll probably need to use a desktop computer. Or maybe log on through your phone's web browser instead of the app, and request full desktop site (I'm an Android user and that would work on my Nexus 5). You should see "My Profile" on the top of the page, and be able to enter there and select to update your profile info.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ_Dave
Thanks
Got mine off of Amazon.
Amazon.com: Dayco 89607 Belt Tensioner: Automotive

Quick Reply: Replace serpentine belt tensioner. help