Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacing the Clutch, someone talk me through the process

Old 05-29-2015, 12:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the Clutch, someone talk me through the process

At 70k miles, my 07's clutch is starting to get finnicky. It makes a weird whining noise when I depress the clutch (I'm thinking clutch master cylinder is going bad), then on the letting out of the clutch it kinda just dumps into gear. So, I've decided to replace almost everything. I'm debating on selling the thing here in a couple months so I want this to be a flawless running jeep. I wanted to get the centerforce clutch kit, should I also replace the throwout bearing as well? Is there any reason not to replace both the master and slave cylinders whilst I'm up underneath the big red behemoth that drinks away all my dinero? What else should I be replacing for this thing to be in tip top shape?

Thanks,

Dylan
Old 05-29-2015, 03:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Sounds like your throwout bearing is going bad. My '07 at 95K miles had it go bad. Clutch and pressure plate were in fine shape, but changed anyway. But I was keeping my Jeep. If selling, I'd have just changed the TOB, pilot bearing and engine rear main seal. But wear on clutch depends a lot on driver--yours may be better or worse than mine. If it slips, definitely change it and pressure plate. Flywheel and fork should also be inspected and replaced (or refaced) if worn. Master/slave cylinder? Slave is very easy job without pulling transmission. Master is a pain, but no real benefit to changing during a clutch rebuild if not acting up (losing pressure, leaking).
Old 05-29-2015, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree with Mark, it sounds like the throwout bearing. If you are definitely going to sell it, I would skip the Centerforce and do the bare minimum to fix it.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the rapid responses, debating is the operative word when it comes to selling the thing. I've been back and forth for a while now. Maybe with a new clutch/throwout bearing and it working properly I'll find my jeep lust again.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default TO bearing

does anyone recommend a good aftermarket one for the JK's I'm on my 3rd clutch....its always fails first.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:31 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Chicago Evo JK
does anyone recommend a good aftermarket one for the JK's I'm on my 3rd clutch....its always fails first.
I doubt just being aftermarket will help, but I like my Centerforce. Bottom line, if you're not getting 100K to 150K miles out of any brand clutch, something is either wrong in your transmission or driving style.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Default centerforce

yes better than factory for sure . Mine wear is from driving style I wouldn't say its typical at all. But Heck you can burn one up in an hour if you try too.. i tend to hit obstacles pretty hard several times before pulling cable out. Midwest is a lot of mudding. Its around $400-$600 for clutch parts plus your time to replace it all. The center force clutch is better but have not found a good TO bearing. Once the burning smell starts occurring I start considering swapping it out. Takes me 4-5 hours. Make sure your not shifting gears in water or mud that will wear it in faster. Im not sure if its recommended but have friends who shift in 4 lo no clutch in such situations. If your not properly geared for your tires clutch change time is a good time to regear.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:10 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Chicago Evo JK
... have not found a good TO bearing. ....
I recently had to replace my transmission so had a Centerforce TOB installed. Not a lot of miles on it, but am hopeful that it outlasts the OEM (which I got 95K miles out of the first time, the clutch looking just fine when that TOB went).
Old 06-05-2015, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the replies. I have located a brand new clutch assembly and throwout bearing from a 2015 Jeep. Is this compatible with my current 6 speed in my 2007?
Old 06-05-2015, 11:18 PM
JK Newbie

South Bend Clutch has 3 options. 1 is better than stock, 2 is probably the best for every thing, 3 is aggressive as in on off type no slip.

Quick Reply: Replacing the Clutch, someone talk me through the process