Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Right front turn signal intermittently blinking faster with fault message

Old 01-16-2016, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right front turn signal intermittently blinking faster with fault message

2013 JKU. Every now and then my right front turn signal will fail and start blinking fast. I have checked the bulbs as per usual and checked the wiring. Nothing is degraded and seems to be fine. Some days it will not fail at all and will blink normally. Some days I could put the signal on and it will fail after a few clicks. Could this be an issue inside the combination switch at the column? I was thinking about buying a new signal housing for a cheap shotgun blast but I am not sure since the combination switch is fairly cheap too. I always get a "RIGHT FRONT TURN SIGNAL OUT" or something like that on the dash when it happens also. Any ideas? Temperature has no bearing on these issues. It does it when its hot, it does it when its cold. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by d3v1c3
2013 JKU. Every now and then my right front turn signal will fail and start blinking fast. I have checked the bulbs as per usual and checked the wiring. Nothing is degraded and seems to be fine. Some days it will not fail at all and will blink normally. Some days I could put the signal on and it will fail after a few clicks. Could this be an issue inside the combination switch at the column? I was thinking about buying a new signal housing for a cheap shotgun blast but I am not sure since the combination switch is fairly cheap too. I always get a "RIGHT FRONT TURN SIGNAL OUT" or something like that on the dash when it happens also. Any ideas? Temperature has no bearing on these issues. It does it when its hot, it does it when its cold. Thanks.
I would replace the bulb and see if that's the fix...

I had my drivers side one complain about a bulb being out, bit was on a trail ride and hadn't yet realized that I tore off the drivers side module...red duct tape!

Hope this is the quick and cheap fix

Matthew
Old 01-16-2016, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I would replace the bulb and see if that's the fix...

I had my drivers side one complain about a bulb being out, bit was on a trail ride and hadn't yet realized that I tore off the drivers side module...red duct tape!

Hope this is the quick and cheap fix

Matthew

I had already replaced the bulb at a previous time but it has still been continuing. Today before I ran some errands I swapped the housings from side to side and it still happens. I am thinking about looking into the combination switch on the steering column. Since all the wiring tests fine I am hoping its a faulty connection point in the column. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had already replaced the bulb at a previous time but it has still been continuing. Today before I ran some errands I swapped the housings from side to side and it still happens. I am thinking about looking into the combination switch on the steering column. Since all the wiring tests fine I am hoping its a faulty connection point in the column. Thanks.
Oddly I just had my left blinker start blinking fast twice now. Happened yesterday and again today, didnt see any bulb out indications but left the jeep running when I got home put the blinker on and all the bulbs were working, damn! Only does it for one or two uses then its fine again.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Its-a-JK
Oddly I just had my left blinker start blinking fast twice now. Happened yesterday and again today, didnt see any bulb out indications but left the jeep running when I got home put the blinker on and all the bulbs were working, damn! Only does it for one or two uses then its fine again.
The thing that leads me to believe it is the switch in the column is the fact that I can have the fault happening by using the blinker, then use the emergency flasher button which would override any input from the column. The blinker works fine. Turn the emer off...goes back to flashing fast. I got n OEM replacement from rockauto for $50.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

The thing that leads me to believe it is the switch in the column is the fact that I can have the fault happening by using the blinker, then use the emergency flasher button which would override any input from the column. The blinker works fine. Turn the emer off...goes back to flashing fast. I got n OEM replacement from rockauto for $50.
Definitely post once you get it replaced and have used the blinker a bit. Its quite possible it could be a short or bad switch so I may be making a trip to the dealer since mine is still under warranty. Its got me puzzled for now.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had an issue like this. Changed the bulb and it still did it. Interestingly, I was looking at fuses under the hood one day and my TIPM fuse? (whatever you call it) was loose. Like almost out. After I reseated it, I haven't seen it again.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

If its that simple that would be awesome. No problems with my other 2013 which has more miles but I will take a look today and see if messing with the TIPm fuse makes a difference.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It's funny because I've recently seen something similar on my own truck. I replaced the bulb and I thought it went away but the random nature of the issue makes it tough to diagnose.

I recently replaced the clockspring and at 130k miles (air bag light), it may be time to look at other avenues for the signal issue.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

The more I think about this the more I wonder about the TIPM. I have also experienced my auto door locks activating at speeds over 20 mph and sometimes not activating until I have hit 20 mph after several stops and start at the beginning of my trip. Hoping it is just a matter of reseating that fuse.

Quick Reply: Right front turn signal intermittently blinking faster with fault message