Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Right Rear Caliper Frozen - Again!?

Old 01-17-2017, 07:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by themoneyshot
I don't think dot 5 is a good idea. It is completely different, silicon based maybe. Valvoline container states "synthetic " maybe that's what was meant.
I may have added to the confusion. I think all or most brake fluids are synthetic, which are glycol based. Separate from that, but also synthetic is the silicone based fluid.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:14 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
DOT 5 is not compatible with any of the other brake fluids, so a complete flush is needed. The JK service manual and the owners manuals say to use DOT 3, with DOT 4 being acceptable to add. DOT 4 is a little less hydroscopic.
There is no mention of DOT 5 in the publications.
I'd avoid DOT 5 in any vehicle that's not specifically designed for it. There could be some compatibility problems with rubber and plastic components.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dot 5 is used in the collector car world because it is silicon based and doesn't harm paint if spilled or leaks. It can be difficult to bleed as it can hold tiny air bubbles. It does not absorb water, so any moisture in the system will form water bubbles that can boil at height temperature and cause a soft pedal.

Dot 3 and 4 absorb moisture so water bubbles do not form if moisture enters the system.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeRM
Dot 5 is used in the collector car world because it is silicon based and doesn't harm paint if spilled or leaks. It can be difficult to bleed as it can hold tiny air bubbles. It does not absorb water, so any moisture in the system will form water bubbles that can boil at height temperature and cause a soft pedal.

Dot 3 and 4 absorb moisture so water bubbles do not form if moisture enters the system.
DOT 3 and 4 will absorb moisture as you say, but that moisture contaminated fluid will turn to compressible vapor when the brakes get hot, resulting in a spongy pedal. That, and corrosion are two reasons it should be flushed every couple of years.

Last edited by ronjenx; 01-17-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think the theory is, moisture that enters the system is less harmful if it stays dissolved, rather than forming water bubbles or pockets. I would agree that any brake fluid contaminated with moisture should be flushed for the reasons Ronjenx stated.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Brake fluid change aside, why do So many Jeep brake systems fail? Ive changed my calipers, pads and rotors three times in three years and only put 8,000 miles on the Jeep over that span. No offroad or wreckless driving.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I pulled the wheel/tire, dropped the caliper and replaced pads (only on right rear thus far). I compressed the cylinder with little effort using a c-clamp and reassembled. This fixed the issue with the right rear brake being hung up, however after a <5 mile drive it was rather hot. The wheel was warmer than other 3 to the touch but bearable. But reaching through the wheel the rotor was hot after 1-2 seconds of contact whereas the other 3 were only warm and I could maintain contact with them. I don't experience any brake fade or sponginess, so I'm thinking maybe caliper though I didn't see anything wrong visually and didn't feel any binding when compressing the cylinder.

Side note... I've heard clicking in the center console under the shifters when starting the jeep, but noticed tonight the click happens every time I press the brake but only in park. Once in gear it either doesn't click or its to low to hear. Not sure if this is related.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JoeRif
Brake fluid change aside, why do So many Jeep brake systems fail? Ive changed my calipers, pads and rotors three times in three years and only put 8,000 miles on the Jeep over that span. No offroad or wreckless driving.
my 2012 JKU made it easily to 70,000 miles with zero maintenance in the brakes. I changed to pads front and rear at 70,000 as preventative maintenance. Rotors still looked great. Rear pads looked pretty horrible. I have manual trans which is easier on the brakes as you can use downshifting to help slow down.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by toolow262
So I pulled the wheel/tire, dropped the caliper and replaced pads (only on right rear thus far). I compressed the cylinder with little effort using a c-clamp and reassembled. This fixed the issue with the right rear brake being hung up, however after a <5 mile drive it was rather hot. The wheel was warmer than other 3 to the touch but bearable. But reaching through the wheel the rotor was hot after 1-2 seconds of contact whereas the other 3 were only warm and I could maintain contact with them. I don't experience any brake fade or sponginess, so I'm thinking maybe caliper though I didn't see anything wrong visually and didn't feel any binding when compressing the cylinder. Side note... I've heard clicking in the center console under the shifters when starting the jeep, but noticed tonight the click happens every time I press the brake but only in park. Once in gear it either doesn't click or its to low to hear. Not sure if this is related.
when I had heating issues with my RV brakes, I bought a cheap non contact infrared thermometer from harbor freight. Gives a digital readout and prevents you from burning your fingers.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's been a while, but I purchased a caliper, fluid, and hoses, so with shipping and waiting for a decent day in upstate NY it's been too long. Today I replaced the caliper and hose, and most of the fluid in the system, right away I was confident that I had rectified the problem. After a >5 mile drive the brake assembly was the same temp as the other 3 corners.

Also a note on the clicking I referenced in a previous post... it only happens in park, not sure if it is now noticeably louder due to age or if I've suddenly regained some hearing but it is the gear interlock relay (automatic transmission).

Quick Reply: Right Rear Caliper Frozen - Again!?