Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Roof Racks on JKUR Hardtop?

Old 09-27-2016, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roof Racks on JKUR Hardtop?

I'm sure this has been talked around a few times so my apologies.

Going to put a roof rack on hardtop. Trying to decide between gutter mount or track mount.

Also, rhino rack makes a serious mounting setup.

Any feedback or suggestions ?
I prefer the track due to spacing and not having the mounts on gutter of freedom panels. And it's very short of just on gutter behind freedom panels.

And go
Old 09-27-2016, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a huge fan of my rhino rack setup! I didn't opt for the pioneer platform since i already had a Thule basket and have definitely gotten good use out of it. I actually just mounted the basket on it for a trip. Wind noise isn't that bad and removal of hardtop is no different than it would be without it I've transported 2x4s and suck on it without an issue and get compliments on the factory look. I may trim down the ends of the bars and machine some end caps eventually but all in all I'm happy with it. Others will say Teraflex nebo which is in the same Category and cost wise they are similar. If you just want crossbars the rhino rack is a better deal price wise Happy shopping! And share what you decide
Oh and I missed the track vs gutter thing first time. Both of those options are terrifying if you want to carry more than a pool floatie. The hardtop and "rain gutters" aren't designed to carry a load. Some will say otherwise but really there is no structure. Buy once cry once here and get something safe

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2337260386.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	539.5 KB
ID:	657611

Last edited by Jahamm88; 09-27-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. Did you install the Rhino or have a shop install?
Old 09-28-2016, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default install

Originally Posted by pdx-rubicon
Thanks. Did you install the Rhino or have a shop install?
i did the install myself, as i do with pretty much everything. its not truly yours untill you drill some holes in it!

measure 6 times drill once, Make sure you use the proper side template for the front holes AND get the right step drill bit from amazon. I called the guys at RhinoRack to get some tips and tricks and they were extremely helpful. if i remember correctly my side holes were a touch off, but theres enough wiggle room in the interior brackets to account for this

all in all it probably took 3 hours from taking hardtop off of vehicle to putting it back on. Ill see if i can dig up the photos of the holes i drilled. once you get over the idea that your putting a hole in a perfectly good top, its easy.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default one more photo

found this, fully loaded down Generator and gear strapped to roof, still had room for other gear in the basket and next to it and wasnt anywhere close to weight limitations of it.

Name:	C17_PlusVA_1690.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	925.4 KB
ID:	657652
Old 09-28-2016, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks great. Thanks for pic and info. Confirms my thoughts and plans. Had a good talk with the support team at Rhino last week. Can't go wrong with that set up.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pdx-rubicon
Looks great. Thanks for pic and info. Confirms my thoughts and plans. Had a good talk with the support team at Rhino last week. Can't go wrong with that set up.
Good deal! Post pics when you get it installed
Old 09-28-2016, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My very first mod was adding a rack. I did a ton of shopping and I had a few specific requirements that helped me pick a rack. I wanted it stable enough to stand on, easy to load kayaks and other large items, needed to work with soft and hard tops and allow me to swap tops and/or remove the freedom tops without removing the rack.

The result was a Gobi rack and I am a big fan! Great quality, perfect fit and satisfies all my requirements. If I had to find a complaint it would be the wind noise with the soft top installed. Once you get over 50mph it the top flaps against the rack and makes some noise. I have to assume this would happen with any low profile rack so I can't complain too much.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put on the Yakima tracks and bars. Very happy with the results. I prefer this over the larger profile body mounted racks. Plan to use in the winter for skis and then in the summer with the load warrior basket when I go camping. I also run in the summer with no top and a spiderweb shade which is why I didn't want the larger rack systems.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Teraflex Nebo here. Clean lines, low profile and endless options for accessories.

Name:	image-596081354.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	657754

Quick Reply: Roof Racks on JKUR Hardtop?