Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubi tires in snow

Old 07-03-2015, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubi tires in snow

Just curious because I've heard mixed reviews but what are your opinions on the haning of stock rubicon tires on snow and rainy roads? I'm moving from Hawaii to Maryland so never put much thought into it till now.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:07 AM
JK Newbie

I live in PA and we had a pretty cold and snowy winter last year. I had no issues. Common sense is the key when driving in rain, snow or ice IMHO.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran mine for 2 winters in Ohio. Never had any problem in the rain. Anything less than an inch or so of snow and they slipped a little on take off if you didn't take it easy. A little bit more snow and no problems at all. Not to good on ice (but what is) but still very doable. All in all never hard to control.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ckor
I live in PA and we had a pretty cold and snowy winter last year. I had no issues. Common sense is the key when driving in rain, snow or ice IMHO.
Same here. Ran them for two winters in PA.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

For a little extra traction you can get them siped. Had mine done at DiscountTire for $10 a tire. If you off-road they will chunk a little though.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a Sahara, but I put the stock Rubi wheels/tires on every Dec. 1st.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Mine were fine in rain and snow until they got about 2yrs old. Then I started to lose traction on wet roads. I go around a traffic circle every day. If I carried too much speed the whole jeep would slide sideways a bit. It seems to be related more to age than tread depth. Me and a coworker bough brand new jeeps in jan 2012. His has 20,000 miles and mine had 50,000. We both go around the same circle and both feel our jeeps slide a bit. I replaced my tires with duratrac and am very happy with them after putting 10,000 miles . Snow wasn't an issue with the original tires, but wet roads were. Tolerable, yes, but definite improvement with duratracs.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tomsryt
I have a Sahara, but I put the stock Rubi wheels/tires on every Dec. 1st.
Unless you're in deep snow, that is backwards.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:08 AM
JK Newbie

Do mud tires handle as well as dedicated winter tires on snow and ice? Absolutely not even close. As long as you're driving cautiously you should be fine though. Ideally if you don't mind not looking as cool in the winter or if you don't wheel much then it's a good idea to swap out when the temperature averages 7 celsius or less. Or swap out before you go wheeling. That is of course if money is no issue.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ckor

+1...agree with this

Quick Reply: Rubi tires in snow