Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rubicon Sway Bar Problem

Old 09-30-2014, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem... 2012 JKU Rubicon with 38,500 miles I was driving down the highway all the sudden the swaybar light started blinking. I thought I accidentally hit it with my knee so I pulled over, turned the Jeep off, and cycled it, then drove off. The light stopped flashing. About a mile down the road it started flashing again then I knew something was wrong because I know I didn't hit it twice. Then all the dashboard lights lit up, the speedometer and tach went to zero, and it started dinging like crazy. I pulled over again and turned the Jeep off. It wouldnt start back up, it would turn like normal but it was in "limp mode" and wouldn't let it start. I kept cycling the key quickly, thats how you override saftey mode (at least it works for me), after a little bit, I finally got it to turn over and start. The swaybar light kept blinking though, pushing the button didn't do anything, it just kept blinking. After about 2 weeks of it doing this, I took it to the dealer and I got a call that night saying that the actuator (motor) was out. I had water in the wiring harness and it shorted out the motor. The dealer wanted $1,300 to replace it, I just spent $100 on the Off Road Evolution manual swaybar disconnect, which is still really easy, you just have to get out of the Jeep and turn a knob where the little motor used to be. Long story short, the electronic swaybar disconnect is nice but it doesn't last long especially if you play in the mud and the manual disconnect is easy and more cost effective.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

EVO: Suspension / Steering, NoLimits Manual Rubicon Swaybar Disconnect

Best thing ever!
Old 09-30-2014, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GreencrawlerJK
I had the same problem... 2012 JKU Rubicon with 38,500 miles I was driving down the highway all the sudden the swaybar light started blinking. I thought I accidentally hit it with my knee so I pulled over, turned the Jeep off, and cycled it, then drove off. The light stopped flashing. About a mile down the road it started flashing again then I knew something was wrong because I know I didn't hit it twice. Then all the dashboard lights lit up, the speedometer and tach went to zero, and it started dinging like crazy. I pulled over again and turned the Jeep off. It wouldnt start back up, it would turn like normal but it was in "limp mode" and wouldn't let it start. I kept cycling the key quickly, thats how you override saftey mode (at least it works for me), after a little bit, I finally got it to turn over and start. The swaybar light kept blinking though, pushing the button didn't do anything, it just kept blinking. After about 2 weeks of it doing this, I took it to the dealer and I got a call that night saying that the actuator (motor) was out. I had water in the wiring harness and it shorted out the motor. The dealer wanted $1,300 to replace it, I just spent $100 on the Off Road Evolution manual swaybar disconnect, which is still really easy, you just have to get out of the Jeep and turn a knob where the little motor used to be. Long story short, the electronic swaybar disconnect is nice but it doesn't last long especially if you play in the mud and the manual disconnect is easy and more cost effective.
I had the exact same problem and it was the issue with the battery cable connectors. They are cheaply made and do not tighten property. Once I changed out the positive and negative connectors the issue went away on my 2013 JKUR. A loose connector will cause voltage drops and play havoc with the electronics.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Huh. I will have to try that someday. I still have the motor, even though I thought it was completely busted. I might try that someday, I still love my manual disconnect.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

with the $1,200 you save, you could buy a 3" Teraflex lift kit!
Old 09-30-2014, 02:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well my dealership replaced the actuator today (under warranty so that saved me about $1500 haha). They said they didn't know why it went bad but my suspicion is moisture. Let's be honest, that unit is going to get wet and they do a poor job sealing it.

We asked the service manager if we would void the warranty on it if we were to use some silicone and RTV to try to seal it up. He said that would be perfectly fine.

Only time will tell if this one survives I guess. No blinking light so far.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
most likely a safety default. They should know that. If you disconnect the sway bar and exceed 15 mph, it will flash and try to re-egage the sway bar. If it is getting a ad read, I would think the ECU is over riding the system and prevents the vehicle from running.

I recently experienced something on my Volvo that was weird in this kind of way. The washer nozzle t-barb broke, pissers stopped working (unknown at the time). As I tried multiple times while driving to spray the nozzles, nothing. All of a sudden, my check engine light came on. I was spewing washer fluid on the O2 sensor, it shorted out and had a Mia read on a bad O2 sensor. Fixed the washer fluid hose, drove for about 90 miles, light went out, cleared the code and all is well again. Just think, this wasn't tied to the ECU.
I mentioned "limp mode" and it was like I was talking to a sign post... they had no idea what I was even talking about. Figures...
Old 09-30-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Since you've installed the manual disco you haven't had any more trouble with the not starting issue have you?
Old 09-30-2014, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
Well my dealership replaced the actuator today (under warranty so that saved me about $1500 haha). They said they didn't know why it went bad but my suspicion is moisture. Let's be honest, that unit is going to get wet and they do a poor job sealing it.

We asked the service manager if we would void the warranty on it if we were to use some silicone and RTV to try to seal it up. He said that would be perfectly fine.

Only time will tell if this one survives I guess. No blinking light so far.

Bad day for Jeep... They replaced mine today also under warranty... haha... however I do feel the same way you do, that the thing is just going to get wet and screw up again. I've always felt that if the thing came with it from the factory it should work, especially with only 4800 miles on it. However GreencrawlerJK might have the best fix here, manual disco.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

How aggravating is it to use this? I know it wouldnt be as "convenient" as the factory electronic disco but if the thing works great and is relatively easy to use and doesn't make me break down... might be worth a shot!

Quick Reply: Rubicon Sway Bar Problem