Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubicon Sway Bar Problem

Old 09-26-2014, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Sway Bar Problem

Hello all, new to the forum and owning a jk. I am hoping someone here can help me with an issue or 2 I am having. I bought a brand new 2014 Jeep Rubicon JK, it has 4800 miles on it and the sway bar light is flashing. I have searched forums and I can't seem to find anybody that is having the same issue as me. Long story short, the jeep has never been offroad and I haven't used the electronic disconnect for the sway bar. All of a sudden one day I cranked the jeep up, pulled out on the road and the sway bar light flashed for about 45 seconds to a minute then went off. Stayed off for a couple weeks then cranked it up one day and the sway bar light started flashing the jeep started shaking and cut off after about 2 seconds of running. Then wouldn't start back up, it would turn over and crank like normal but wouldn't start. I tried to start it a few times and nothing. The sway bar light went out, I tried it and it started up and ran just like normal. I took it in to the dealer as it is under warranty and the techs drove it and drove it, drove it home and drove it some more and nothing would happen... No sway bar light no not starting or anything. There was a "sway bar failure" code but I didn't get any explanation to that as the service guy was a big prick and didn't know $hit obviously. I picked the jeep up and everthing has been good for about a week, then I am sitting in a bojangles drive thru and the sway bar light flashes 3 times and goes back off. Didn't run bad or cut off or anything just flashed then stopped. Has ANYBODY had anything even KINDA like this? I have seen all sorts of issues people are having with the sway bar disconnects but most say they start flashing and don't stop or something. Like I said this jeep has never been offroad or abused in any way... I am planning on taking it to a different dealer but if I can figure out what is making this thing do this and tell them EXACTLY what it's doing maybe they can fix something. Thanks for any help you can give here
Old 09-26-2014, 05:23 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JKS manufacturing has a great explanation of what is occurring:
Electronic Swaybar Cable Conversion for Wrangler JK Rubicon
Old 09-26-2014, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubi28
Like I said this jeep has never been offroad or abused in any way...
There's the problem, your jeep is trying to tell you something
Old 09-26-2014, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 20jk08
There's the problem, your jeep is trying to tell you something
HAHA, Yeah as I was typing that in the back of my mind I was thinking, well... there's my problem right there! lol
Old 09-26-2014, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
JKS manufacturing has a great explanation of what is occurring:
Electronic Swaybar Cable Conversion for Wrangler JK Rubicon

I was hoping it would have lasted longer than 4800 EASY miles... serious flaw in the system here.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

On a further note, I was driving down the road today and all of a sudden it was like I stepped on the brakes then it revved up and started accelerating again. I didn't notice the sway bar light flashing because I was trying not to get rear ended but I don't think it flashed any. If the electronics is shorted in the disconnect could that cause this? WTH could be going on here... I have an 88 toyota pickup that doesnt give me nearly the trouble this thing does. I'm sure the dealership will think I am crazy...

Last edited by Rubi28; 09-26-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:27 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well as I pointed out to another forum member, when he had an issue with his brakes.. everything is electrical these days.. so I told him.. "Give it a swift kick, Disconnect the Battery, Clean the terminals, Reconnect the battery and give it another swift kick just incase it didn't do anything the first time"
Old 09-26-2014, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
Well as I pointed out to another forum member, when he had an issue with his brakes.. everything is electrical these days.. so I told him.. "Give it a swift kick, Disconnect the Battery, Clean the terminals, Reconnect the battery and give it another swift kick just incase it didn't do anything the first time"
haha, yea I plan on using a bigger hammer on it when I get off work. Driving me crazy... Just don't understand how the sway bar disconnect can cause the thing to run weird or not start but.. your right electronics is a weird thing
Old 09-26-2014, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

I doubt the problem is the electric discos. You are having a bigger electrical issue.
I have the OE electric discos on my JKUX. The disco light flashes while disconnecting, can't remember if it flashes while re-connecting. Light stays on while disconnected, light is off when connected.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rubi28
Hello all, new to the forum and owning a jk. I am hoping someone here can help me with an issue or 2 I am having. I bought a brand new 2014 Jeep Rubicon JK, it has 4800 miles on it and the sway bar light is flashing. I have searched forums and I can't seem to find anybody that is having the same issue as me. Long story short, the jeep has never been offroad and I haven't used the electronic disconnect for the sway bar. All of a sudden one day I cranked the jeep up, pulled out on the road and the sway bar light flashed for about 45 seconds to a minute then went off. Stayed off for a couple weeks then cranked it up one day and the sway bar light started flashing the jeep started shaking and cut off after about 2 seconds of running. Then wouldn't start back up, it would turn over and crank like normal but wouldn't start. I tried to start it a few times and nothing. The sway bar light went out, I tried it and it started up and ran just like normal. I took it in to the dealer as it is under warranty and the techs drove it and drove it, drove it home and drove it some more and nothing would happen... No sway bar light no not starting or anything. There was a "sway bar failure" code but I didn't get any explanation to that as the service guy was a big prick and didn't know $hit obviously. I picked the jeep up and everthing has been good for about a week, then I am sitting in a bojangles drive thru and the sway bar light flashes 3 times and goes back off. Didn't run bad or cut off or anything just flashed then stopped. Has ANYBODY had anything even KINDA like this? I have seen all sorts of issues people are having with the sway bar disconnects but most say they start flashing and don't stop or something. Like I said this jeep has never been offroad or abused in any way... I am planning on taking it to a different dealer but if I can figure out what is making this thing do this and tell them EXACTLY what it's doing maybe they can fix something. Thanks for any help you can give here
Your 2014 jeep w/ only 4800 miles should be cover by the warranty. Take it to the dealer
There a few members here that had the e-disco replace under warranty. I'm one of them

Quick Reply: Rubicon Sway Bar Problem