Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubicon Sway Bar Problem

Old 09-26-2014, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this has been answered, but have you tried actually disconnecting your sway bar using your interior switch, confirming the sway bar is disconnected (numerous ways to do that), and then reconnecting it? You may be getting the intermittent trouble codes because this wasn't done right in the first place.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:56 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Computers do strange things when voltage isn't normal and steady. First thing I'd try is removing and cleaning the battery terms, and check all the related ground connections you can find. I'd bet this is what the dealer would try first as well, might save you a trip.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey buddy I'm in GSO too. If you want to swap out your battery, I have my old battery out of my '13 that we can put in it to see if it fixes your issue. I don't think it's your sway bar. It sounds like there's something more going on. Crown is a joke. I usually take my jeep over to North Pointe in Winston or to Burlington if I HAVE to use the dealer. Send me a PM and you can swing by if you want.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tuto
Your 2014 jeep w/ only 4800 miles should be cover by the warranty. Take it to the dealer
There a few members here that had the e-disco replace under warranty. I'm one of them
I took it to a dealer the other day, service guy was a freaking idiot... thats putting it mildly... one of those guys after 30 seconds of meeting you want to smack em in the face with a rubber hammer... anyways, I am going to try a different stealership and see what happens I guess
Old 09-26-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Computers do strange things when voltage isn't normal and steady. First thing I'd try is removing and cleaning the battery terms, and check all the related ground connections you can find. I'd bet this is what the dealer would try first as well, might save you a trip.

Went out and checked the battery, all seems tight and clean... I didn't look for the grounds yet but will give them a once over.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mello03
Hey buddy I'm in GSO too. If you want to swap out your battery, I have my old battery out of my '13 that we can put in it to see if it fixes your issue. I don't think it's your sway bar. It sounds like there's something more going on. Crown is a joke. I usually take my jeep over to North Pointe in Winston or to Burlington if I HAVE to use the dealer. Send me a PM and you can swing by if you want.

Yeah man and don't bother with K-ville dodge either... do you have a certain service rep you prefer to deal with? This afternoon I backed the jeep in the yard, turned it off for about 30 min while I loaded some things in it. When I went to start it back up the sway bar light started flashing and it started shaking and died after about 2 seconds of running. The light continued to flash for about 5 seconds then went off. I tried to start it again and it fired right up and ran like normal. In my head I'm thinking what in the world would the sway bar disconnect have anything to do with the thing cutting off. That's when I opened up the fuse box and looked around a bit. There is a fuse the is related to the ABS/ something else/ something else again/ fuel pump relay/ sway bar feed. I have no book with a wiring diagram to see what goes where but it is interesting to have 1 fuse for fuel pump relay and sway bar feed... Question is... what in the world is shorting out or what malfunction is it causing this mayhem and is the dealership capable of even processing the information I am fixing to throw at them...??? haha
Old 09-26-2014, 07:48 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

I remember a few similar threads -- not specifically the rubi disconnect, but with various flashing lamps combined with run/stall problems. Don't recall if any solutions were verified, but it's worth a search plus maybe a PM to the OP if the thread didn't come to a conclusion.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubi28
Yeah man and don't bother with K-ville dodge either... do you have a certain service rep you prefer to deal with? This afternoon I backed the jeep in the yard, turned it off for about 30 min while I loaded some things in it. When I went to start it back up the sway bar light started flashing and it started shaking and died after about 2 seconds of running. The light continued to flash for about 5 seconds then went off. I tried to start it again and it fired right up and ran like normal. In my head I'm thinking what in the world would the sway bar disconnect have anything to do with the thing cutting off. That's when I opened up the fuse box and looked around a bit. There is a fuse the is related to the ABS/ something else/ something else again/ fuel pump relay/ sway bar feed. I have no book with a wiring diagram to see what goes where but it is interesting to have 1 fuse for fuel pump relay and sway bar feed... Question is... what in the world is shorting out or what malfunction is it causing this mayhem and is the dealership capable of even processing the information I am fixing to throw at them...??? haha
No man I don't have a particular service guy I go to because I rarely take it in. Unfortunately all the local dealers are clueless. North Pointe seems to have an IQ close to 100. Hope you get it figured out, but I think you're on the right track.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey there, I have a 2012 JK with 15000 miles and I'm having essentially the same problem. Got the flashing sway bar light a couple weeks ago.

I disconnected it at the unit to make sure there wasn't any water or anything messing up the connection (turned out it was damp) and plugged it back in. The code cleared and the e disco worked. Turned jeep off and restarted it about 30 min later and the blinking light was back. Doh!

So a week or so later I tried doing the same thing. This time, after plugging it back in, every single light on my dash lit up and it threw 24 error codes! Went into some sort of limp mode. Again, tried cleaning and drying the connection but the problem repeated itself. So my short term solution was to leave the sway bar electronically disconnected (the plug at the actual unit is off). So of course the light is still flashing but at least my jeep is drivable and it's not throwing codes.

I'm taking it to the dealership on Monday. They say it sounds like a chafed wire but all the wires look fine to me. I'm frustrated to say the least.

You aren't alone. Sounds like we have the same issue!
Old 09-27-2014, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tatonka456
Sorry if this has been answered, but have you tried actually disconnecting your sway bar using your interior switch, confirming the sway bar is disconnected (numerous ways to do that), and then reconnecting it? You may be getting the intermittent trouble codes because this wasn't done right in the first place.

I disconnected reconnected disconnected reconnected connected reconnected diconnected reconnected... you get the point.. it sounds and feels like its working correctly so far

Quick Reply: Rubicon Sway Bar Problem