Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rubicon Transfer case issue

Old 11-26-2012, 01:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Transfer case issue

Can anyone throw any light on a loud "clacking" noise that seems to come from the transfer case on my '07 Rubicon 4 door (stick)?
only seems to happen in 4 high or 4 low.
Only need to rock Jeep back n forth from 1st to reverse to get it to do it, thinking the chain has stretched and is hitting the case?
how common is this?
will it break?
Where can I get parts?
New Zealand dealer wants $1200 just for chain !!!! (plus freight and Tax)
thanks in advance
Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 07 has always been noisy in 4-lo, as in I can produce the "clack" rocking it back and forth, the drive train slack is much amplified and I do not think this is unusual. Never noticed it in 4-hi though.

Because I think if it was easy to stretch the t-case chain or otherwise screw it up, mine would have failed long time ago.

If it does not happen in 2wd, could it be slack in your front driveshaft/differential?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks your your reply, i'm just a little confused as I have an '07 2 door Rubi also but that has an Auto trans and it is perfectly quiet even when doing some pretty hairy trails.
The noise on the 4 door was most obvious when taking on some thick (although not very deep) mud at an event on the weekend.
I attacked it in low 3rd and just plowed through and the noise was loud enough for the spectators on the bank to question the noise? I was'nt really on/off the gas, and drive shaft appears to be ok.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Super Freak

That does not sound like normal slop for sure. I would be checking the whole drive train first, from the front to the back. If everything looks good and tight, then maybe it really is the t-case.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:35 AM
JK Newbie

I have 5 Jk Rubicons we use in an Off Road Driving School in West Virginia. Combined mileage is about 90,000. Most of the use in 4 wheel low with speeds under 10 mph in a rugged enviroment. About a month ago a loud clacking noise began in 4 lo under a load, hill climbing mostly. As previously mentioned in this post we checked entire driveline first, axle joints, U joints, ring and pinion gears front and rear. Those were all fine. Standing beside Jeep when pulling a hill the noise seemed to be coming from Transfer Case. We pulled tcase opened it up and found no abnormal wear on gears or any metal shavings. Our best guess is the chain had stretched slightly. A new chain has been ordered $ 166.00 US. I will let you know what happens when installed. In general the tcase on these Rubicons is pretty trouble free. Good luck
Old 08-17-2014, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I seem to be having this same issue. It also seems that i may have a little to much back lash in front diff. How did your jeep do after the chain replacement? Any idea how much is too much backlash in a diff? Thanks for any info.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

I have a 2013JKUR10A with a six speed and 4lo has always clacked pretty loudly as load shifts between forward and back when crawling. Never been an issue and can be heard in several jeep off-roading videos but I am interested to hear if a new chain helps.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yea, i have not made a move or decission on this yet. I can just hear it in 2HI at times. But in 4Lo, it is very noticable. I have not talked to anybody local about it.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Every manual transmission JK I've been around on the trail has always had the clack sound. Especially when drivers aren't smooth with the throttle.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Transfer case issue