Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rust!!!!!!

Old 04-18-2014, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust!!!!!!

I just washed the jeep and noticed that all of my hinges are rusting. They have bubbling on the barrel of the hinge as well as where it boots to the surface of the door. I'm a bit pissed as I'm very particular about my vehicles. Thru the winter it is washed a couple of times a week to keep the salt off. The jeep is not even 2 yrs old and not covered by the warranty as there is on hole ( yet ). How have your jeeps hinges held up and what are some solutions to this problem.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Who told you they werent covered under warranty? Very common problem on the JK's. I think it has something to do with the hinge and door being dissimilar metals. Jeep knows its a problem. Should be covered 100%.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, aluminum hinges on steel doors will cause bubbling because of some reaction between the two. I had hinges repainted under warranty.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think the warranty only covers rust if it rusts all the way through and makes a hole. I remember reading that at the dealership. It sucks and makes me afraid to drive mine in the winter.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

I have not gone to the dealer but was just reading the warranty. But after hearing that might be cover is good to hear. I will be dropping by the dealer next week to see what they have to say. Thanks guys. Aside from just repainting are there other thing that might be a better fix.

Last edited by heyjunior; 04-18-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry was trying to edit lat post

Last edited by heyjunior; 04-18-2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do some checking. I think I remember hearing about a TSB or customer satisfaction program that deals with the rusting hinges. Check the NHTSA web site.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DSmith1178
Who told you they werent covered under warranty? Very common problem on the JK's. I think it has something to do with the hinge and door being dissimilar metals. Jeep knows its a problem. Should be covered 100%.
Originally Posted by Seanb33
Yes, aluminum hinges on steel doors will cause bubbling because of some reaction between the two. I had hinges repainted under warranty.
Yup, this happened to my '08 JKU and was repainted under warranty. Now my '12 is showing the same thing. Dealership referred me to a local body shop to get an estimate for the warranty work...

....Known problem......

aldaman
Old 04-19-2014, 04:39 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by heyjunior
I have not gone to the dealer but was just reading the warranty. But after hearing that might be cover is good to hear. I will be dropping by the dealer next week to see what they have to say. Thanks guys. Aside from just repainting are there other thing that might be a better fix.

The body shop that I went to, the owner said he will submit an estimate to the dealership to replace the bubbling hinges with new ones and have them painted. If dealership says no, then the shop will just repaint them.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

My 2010 had this problem. Chrysler repainted them.

Quick Reply: Rust!!!!!!