Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rust on some of the drivetrain components?

Old 10-08-2015, 09:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust on some of the drivetrain components?

We live in a very dry climate, yet I see rust on some of the drivetrain components on a 2 year old JKU.

Is this common and no big deal?

Would it be something that can easily be corrected and prevented from re-occuring?
Old 10-09-2015, 03:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 years.....? Really? That's good. I got rust on mine after 2 months. Of course I live in the northeast.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:42 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The rusty drive line components are normal, and not a big deal.
That doesn't mean you have to like it, though.

Brush off any loose rust and apply some rust converter. Top coat with the color of your choice.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Dana Spicer told me that the surface rust is by design and actually a protective layer of oxidation to protect against further rusting. I aint making this up.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
Dana Spicer told me that the surface rust is by design and actually a protective layer of oxidation to protect against further rusting. I aint making this up.
There is some truth to that. I see it on new bridges quite often.
In fact, that's how stainless steel works. It has a layer of corrosion so thin it can't be seen. Scratch it and thin corrosion fills it in quickly.
Our JK exhaust parts are 409 stainless. It doesn't stay bright like 304 stainless, so you can see the protective layer of corrosion. The exhaust system on my 8 year old JK looks rusty in patches, but has not rusted through in this salty winter environment.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default oh good so then rust is good for our jk :)

im relieved , because ive never seen any vehicle rust up so much in my 51 years of living. ill sleep better now knowing its there for good purpose in fact ill put the hose to it before bed time
Old 10-11-2015, 03:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I noticed rust in mine a week or so after purchase. 65,000 miles later no issues.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My only complaint are the factory driveshafts surface rust, they look like $hit coated with that much rust, I'm just lazy to brush all that up and then paint them for the rest of the little spots with surface rust, I'll simply spray them with black rusteloum.

Quick Reply: Rust on some of the drivetrain components?