Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Sahara to Get Rubicon Shocks and Springs - Hard Install?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sahara to Get Rubicon Shocks and Springs - Hard Install?

Good day all. I've got a friend that I am going to get some brand new Rubicon Shocks and Springs from. He has a brand new Ruby that he put on a lift after only a few miles. I have a 2010 Sahara. I have checked the spring numbers and his are a higher rate. Makes sense mine is a two door and his is a JKUR. I am not in it for the lift really. If I get a benefit and get a lift out of the swap then awesome but I am really in it because I have a roof rack and I want to help with sag when loaded and when towing.

Questions are:

It is my understanding that it is a direct swap. Anything to watch out for? Any forseen problems? I called a local shop and they told me it would be a direct swap but it would cost $450.

So that leads me to question two. I don't want to spend $450.....Is this easy enough that it is something me and a couple of friends could tackle in the driveway?

Thanks guys this forum is full of knowledge!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the exact swap on my driveway last year with no idea what I was doing and some basic tools. Pretty straightforward swap. Also put in a 2inch spacer lift while I was at it.

Took me about 8 hours, but I can see this being done in 3 if you know what you're doing. (I didn't)

Probably upgrading to something else now. It's way too rough for my taste.

Best of luck!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Default Rough?

Originally Posted by munir
I did the exact swap on my driveway last year with no idea what I was doing and some basic tools. Pretty straightforward swap. Also put in a 2inch spacer lift while I was at it.

Took me about 8 hours, but I can see this being done in 3 if you know what you're doing. (I didn't)

Probably upgrading to something else now. It's way too rough for my taste.

Best of luck!
Well that was my concern. With the higher rate springs comes a rougher ride right? Does it rattle your teeth out? My wife is already complaining about the ride. HA. Of course on longer trips we would be loaded down with some weight so that might help.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:38 AM
DJ1
Former Member

I would just save up for a solid 2.5 or 3.5 kit. Rock Krawler or AEV if you want triple-rate springs. I think Metal Cloak and/or Teraflex is coming out with a triple-rate spring.

Buy once. Cry once.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

To be honest I'm not sure if its the spring, shocks or geometry changes from the spacers. Most likely a combination of the three. I've lived with it for a year but now I'm finding it quite annoying. Also steering sucks real bad when I hit bumps at speed.

For the price I snagged all the bits, it was worth the try.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DJ1
Buy once. Cry once.
Amen!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Machoo
Good day all. I've got a friend that I am going to get some brand new Rubicon Shocks and Springs from. He has a brand new Ruby that he put on a lift after only a few miles. I have a 2010 Sahara. I have checked the spring numbers and his are a higher rate. Makes sense mine is a two door and his is a JKUR. I am not in it for the lift really. If I get a benefit and get a lift out of the swap then awesome but I am really in it because I have a roof rack and I want to help with sag when loaded and when towing. Questions are: It is my understanding that it is a direct swap. Anything to watch out for? Any forseen problems? I called a local shop and they told me it would be a direct swap but it would cost $450. So that leads me to question two. I don't want to spend $450.....Is this easy enough that it is something me and a couple of friends could tackle in the driveway? Thanks guys this forum is full of knowledge!
it is very easy, there are tons of you tube videos to help. Put in a 3/4"spacer up front (you'll have the springs out anyways) to level you out and call it a day. It won't be noticeable rougher than what you have if you don't add big spacers like the other guy. Keep you stock geometry! You'll gain about .25"-.5" per spring #.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy yourself a set of coil compressors they are around $30 and you'll need a half inch drive ratchet (2 half inch ratchet makes it even easier ). Daystar make a 3/4 inch puck kit for $40. It will take you around 3-4 hours to do it.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Easy swap with a couple of jack stands and a floor jack. If you're getting them for free I would definitely throw them in even if you are saving up for a small lift. You didn't mention the actual springs numbers but you should get about .25" per number.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:19 PM
JK Freak

Default Excellent

So it sounds like it won't be too difficult. I have a friend that is selling them to me for $50. So I figured for $50 I might as well throw them in. It would be great to net a slight bump in lift but I am really interested in a heavier duty spring for loading purposes. I don't overload my Sahara but it does sag with some weight on the rack or on the hitch. Plus it will be a true frankenjeep then. I've got a Sahara with black fenders (not the body matched ones) and Ruby wheels and tires takeoffs. It will be icing on the cake with the red shocks and springs! I don't want to do a legit lift yet at this time because currently my Jeep has a 3 inch clearance for the garage! I like to park it inside at night.

Good tip on the coil compressors. I'll get a pair so that I can compress the springs. Looking forward to giving it a try. Great idea too on bumping up the front to level it out a bit. I might wait until after this install to see what it looks like first.

Quick Reply: Sahara to Get Rubicon Shocks and Springs - Hard Install?